No Indian military role in Afghanistan beyond training: Leon PanettaJune 6th, 2012 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) The US would like India to expand its efforts to train Afghanistan’s security forces but does see a military role beyond that, visiting US Defence Secretary said Wednesday.
“What I have asked for is for India to continue to provide. I understand the training takes place in India. I have asked, if possible to expand this training. Beyond this, nothing in terms of additional military efforts,” Panetta said during an interactive session after delivering a lecture on India-US relations at the Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA).
He was responding to a question on whether, during his talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Defence Minister A.K. Antony and National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menonn he had urged more intensive Indian efforts in Afghanistan and whether he had made any specific requests.
- Indian military role in Afghanistan confined to training: Leon Panetta (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Cut through red tape to enhance US-India defence cooperation: Panetta - Jun 06, 2012
- US Defence Secretary Panetta arrives in New Delhi - Jun 05, 2012
- India-US discuss regional security, defence purchases - Jun 06, 2012
- Asia-Pacific issues should be settled bilaterally: Antony (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Antony re-elected IDSA president - Feb 25, 2012
- India-US discuss range of defence issues ahead of strategic dialogue (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Antony warns defence firms against corruption - Jul 12, 2011
- India promises to continue training Afghan security forces (Lead) (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- Srinath Raghavan wins K. Subrahmanyam Award - Nov 11, 2011
- India, Japan to continue robust defence ties - Sep 21, 2011
- Want to cut red-tape in defence ties with India: US (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- India-US defence dialogue held ahead of naval drill - Feb 23, 2012
- Regular dialogue mechanism key to addressing security issues: Antony - Feb 13, 2012
- Don't expect miracles from India-Pakistan dialogue: Antony - Nov 15, 2011
Tags: afghanistan, antony, defence minister, defence secretary, defence studies, India, indian efforts, interactive session, leon panetta, manmohan, manmohan singh, military efforts, military role, national security adviser, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, security forces