‘No exclusive US bounty for Hafiz Saeed’April 29th, 2012 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 29 (IANS) US Ambassador to Pakistan Cameron P. Munter has blamed the Pakistani media for “misreporting the issue of Hafiz Saeed” and said the US government did not announce any bounty “specifically” for the Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) chief.
“Pakistani media is very active and responsible but it misreported the issue of Hafiz Saeed. Though Hafiz Saeed is a suspected accused of the Mumbai terror attacks, the US government didn’t place any bounty/head money for him,” the US diplomat said.
Munter was replying to media queries after addressing the annual dinner of the American Business Forum (ABF) at the Royal Palm Golf and Country Club here Saturday.
He said the reward was based on information received that could lead to arrest or conviction of any UN declared terrorist (not specifically Hafiz Saeed) of any country, the Dawn newspaper reported Sunday.
On Afghan peace efforts, the US envoy said a trilateral meeting of Pakistan, US and Afghanistan was recently held in Islamabad to discuss the situation.
“Though the role of Pakistan and US is to assist the process of dialogue, Afghanistan itself has to make a solution to this issue finally,” he added.
Hafiz Saeed, founder of the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group, is accused of masterminding the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008 that resulted in the deaths of 166 people.
- Hafiz supporters rant against India - Apr 07, 2012
- Pakistani-British MP offers reward for Obama's capture - Apr 16, 2012
- US envoy denies meeting Hafiz Saeed - May 10, 2012
- Hafiz Saeed challenges India to prove his involvement in 26/11 - Apr 25, 2011
- Hafiz Saeed rubbishes Indo-Pak cricket diplomacy - Apr 12, 2011
- India, Israel behind US court summons against ISI chiefs, JuD leaders, claims Makki - Jan 19, 2011
- Pakistani group slams US reward for Hafiz Saeed - Apr 04, 2012
- Pakistan unlikely to defend Hafiz Saeed in 26/11 US lawsuit - Jan 14, 2011
- India cannot prove JuD's link with 26/11 attack: Hafiz Saeed - Apr 26, 2011
- Hafiz Saeed publicly slams Pope, defends blasphemy law - Jan 30, 2011
- Ahead of Zardari visit, India ups pressure over Hafiz Saeed (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2012
- "We have every right to use Kashmir door to teach India a lesson": Hafiz Saeed - Mar 25, 2011
- Hafiz Saeed seeks Pakistan government aid in Mumbai case - Jan 13, 2011
- India presses Pakistan for speedy 26/11 justice, says enough evidence - Nov 26, 2011
- India counters Pakistan, says enough info against Hafiz Saeed - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: abf, ambassador, american business, annual dinner, april 29, business forum, conviction, diplomat, golf and country club, hafiz, islamabad, lashkar e taiba, media queries, militant group, munter, palm golf, peace efforts, royal palm, saeed, us government