No early resolution of Sir Creek dispute: Navy chiefMarch 1st, 2011 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) The Sir Creek maritime border dispute between India and Pakistan is unlikely to be resolved soon, the navy chief, Admiral Nirmal Verma, said here Tuesday. “Really speaking, I cannot say it is doable because it is a question of both sides willing to follow a certain line of action. As far as Sir Creek is concerned, there are issues which have to be addressed by both the governments,” Verma told reporters on the sidelines of a naval function here.
He was asked for his views on India’s chief hydrographer, Vice Admiral B.R. Rao’s recent comments on Sir Creek being an “easily doable” dispute between India and Pakistan.
Sir Creek off the northern coast of Gujarat is an over six-decade-old border dispute between Indian and Pakistan.
Rao had last week acknowledged former Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf’s statement on easily resolving the Sir Creek dispute, noting that the latter had told an Indian delegation in 2007 that the issue could be settled in 10 minutes.
- India, Pakistan begin talks on Sir Creek dispute - Jun 18, 2012
- India, Pakistan fail to make headway on Sir Creek (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- India, Pakistan discuss Sir Creek; no headway - Jun 19, 2012
- A marshy dispute: Sir Creek factfile - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistan calls off Sir Creek talks with India - May 10, 2012
- Potential game-changer: Manmohan yes to Pakistan visit (Roundup) - Apr 08, 2012
- US Navy operations chief in India - Apr 23, 2012
- India, Pakistan plan Siachen, Sir Creek talks - Apr 11, 2012
- India, Pakistan to resume defence talks after four years - May 25, 2011
- Indo-Pak talks on Siachen, Sir Creek issues on April 22 - Apr 03, 2011
- India, Pakistan had almost agreed on a Kashmir solution: Musharraf - Oct 10, 2010
- Pakistan, India to talk Siachen on June 11, 12 - May 11, 2012
- India proposes norms for Indian Ocean anti-piracy patrols - Apr 13, 2012
- India, Pakistan should focus on non-Kashmir issues: Sartaj Aziz (Interview) - Mar 11, 2012
- India, Pakistan for patience, sincerity ahead of talks (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011