No direct flights to the US, Pak Defence Secretary tells PACFebruary 5th, 2009 - 4:49 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Feb. 5 (ANI): The United States (US) has imposed a ban on direct flights to and from Pakistan into the US after Islamabads refusal to share complete data of it nationals traveling abroad with the US post 9/11, Pakistans Defence Secretary Athar Ali has informed the Public Accounts Committee.
Ali told the PAC of the National Assembly on Wednesday that the government had purchased a Boeing 777 for direct flights to the US, but that could not happen and all the flights to the US had a stopover in the United Kingdom, the Daily Times reported.
The committee took up an audit para regarding uneconomical and reckless purchase of eight aircrafts resulting in the extra expenditure of Rs 13.26 billion.
The audit authorities had told the committee that the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) had hired the services of consultants at a cost of $78,000 but their advice had not been taken before the purchase.
The PAC settled the audit para without giving a clear explanation of whether the decision taken by the PIA management was right or wrong. However, it directed the PIA management to avoid indulging in such imprudent expenditure.
PIA Managing Director Ijaz Haroon argued that a surge in oil prices was the main reason for the increase in PIAs expenditures. (ANI)
- Pakistan International Airlines under Rs.1.1 trillion debt - Nov 23, 2010
- Pakistani airline sacks its most expensive employee - Jul 11, 2012
- Pakistan airline employees end strike - Feb 12, 2011
- Come up with new business plan: Gilani to PIA - Dec 30, 2011
- Pakistan Army slapped with Rs.120 bn `bill' for using stadium - Jan 21, 2011
- Aircraft purchase: High court refuses to pass order - Jun 01, 2012
- PIA staffers to stage nationwide protests - Nov 11, 2011
- Business as usual unacceptable, Gilani warns PIA - Nov 04, 2011
- Pakistani plane diverted as man suffers stroke - Jun 12, 2011
- Pakistani airline strike disrupts 120 flights - Feb 10, 2011
- Pak Army 'illegally' gave funds to Bugti's rivals under Musharraf's call: Audit report - Oct 28, 2010
- PIA flight full, so two get seats in loo instead - Feb 15, 2012
- Pak armed forces' depleting reserves may harm war on terror: Defence Secretary - Jun 18, 2010
- US apologises over 'mistreatment' of Pakistani military delegation - Sep 03, 2010
- Implement Pakistan airlines reform plan: Zardari - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: aircrafts, ali, athar, authorities, boeing, boeing 777, defence secretary, direct flights, expenditures, islamabad, managing director, national assembly, nationals, oil prices, pac, pakistan international airlines, pia, public accounts committee, stopover, united kingdom