No choice but to await Pakistan’s Mumbai response: Pranab (Roundup)February 3rd, 2009 - 12:07 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Islamabad, Feb 2 (IANS) Cautioning against impatience, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said Monday India has no choice but to wait for the report of Pakistan’s probe into the Mumbai terror attacks. “We won’t get anything by simply losing our patience, so hardly we have a choice,” Mukherjee told an Indian TV news channel when asked how long India would have to wait for the report on the attacks that New Delhi has blamed on elements operating from Pakistan.
This is the fourth day in succession that Mukherjee has spoken on the issue, having previously taken umbrage at reports in the Pakistani media on the progress on the probe.
A combative Mukherjee Sunday stressed that New Delhi has yet to receive any reply on the Mumbai dossier through diplomatic channels though he offered to share more information with Islamabad if needed.
“Pakistan has not given India any information as a reply to the dossier through diplomatic channels. All we have heard so far on the dossier is from the media,” Mukherjee said.
“The least Pakistan could have done is to inform the Indian government about the probe through the Indian high commission in Islamabad,” the minister added. He was speaking at a function at Murshidabad in West Bengal.
Also on Sunday, Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said that Pakistan had completed its probe into the Mumbai mayhem and would soon share this with India.
“I assure the world, the media and the government and the people of India that the (Indian) dossier (on Mumbai) has been investigated and has been forwarded to the Ministry of Justice and after their approval, I will take you into confidence,” Gilani told reporters in Islamabad on his return from the World Economic Forum meeting at Davos.
India Jan 5 submitted a dossier pointing to the involvement of elements from this country in the Mumbai attacks. The Pakistani interior ministry tasked the Federal Investigation agency with examining the document and submitting a report.
On Monday, an FIA official claimed that the Mumbai terror attacks were planned in Europe. The agency, however, denied the report.
The result of Pakistan’s probe into the attacks shows the master plan was developed in an European country, a senior FIA official told Iran’s Press TV channel.
The FIA immediately distanced itself from the report, saying none of its officials was authorised to speak to the media.
“The official, who was talking on condition of anonymity, said the Pakistani government of (President) Asif Ali Zardari was still undecided over providing the country with evidence,” read a posting on the Press TV website.
Declining to name any state, the official added that the report would be presented to the Indian government through diplomatic channels in the next two days.
The Pakistani official said the FIA’s findings rule out the involvement of any Pakistani group or organisations in the Mumbai attacks.
“The report further disclosed that there were no Pakistani group or organisation involved in the attacks, however the government is investigating to make the report more transparent,” the official added.
India has blamed the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terror group for the Nov 26-29 Mumbai carnage that claimed the lives of more than 170 people, including 26 foreigners, and injured more than 300.
Tags: diplomatic channels, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, federal investigation, gilani, indian government, indian high commission, indian tv, interior ministry, investigation agency, islamabad, ministry of justice, murshidabad, pakistani prime minister, pranab mukherjee, terror attacks, umbrage, west bengal, world economic forum, yousuf