No Americans killed in Peshawar blast: USSeptember 3rd, 2012 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 3 (IANS) The US embassy here Monday denied that two Americans were killed in a car bomb attack in Peshawar.
An embassy spokesman said they had no reports of any Americans being killed, after provincial information minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain said Americans had died, reported Online news agency.
The US embassy released a statement by Department of State spokesperson Victoria Nuland which stated: “We can confirm that a vehicle belonging to the US consulate in Peshawar was hit in an apparent terrorist attack.
“Two US personnel and two Pakistani staff of the consulate were injured and are receiving medical treatment. No US consulate personnel were killed but we are seeking further information about other victims of this heinous act.
“We stand ready to work with Pakistani authorities on a full investigation so that the perpetrators can be brought to justice.”
Mian Iftikhar had earlier said: “The blast killed two Americans. This is a dangerous move from the terrorists — they want to terrorise the foreigners.”
Police recovered a half-burnt US passport from a car badly damaged in the blast, officials said.
The blast took place near the residential quarters for the US consulate and foreign aid organisations, police officer Tahir Ayub said, adding that at least five people were killed.
“The car targeted was a US consulate vehicle,” an intelligence official said.
- Four die in Peshawar suicide bombing (Fourth Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Two die as suicide bomber targets US vehicle in Peshawar (Evening Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Two Americans killed in Peshawar suicide bombing (Third Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Two die as Peshawar bombing targets US consulate vehicle (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Bomb attack strikes U.S. Consulate vehicles in Pakistan - May 20, 2011
- Seven killed as multiple bombings rock Peshawar (Second Lead) - Apr 05, 2010
- US consulate vehicles targeted in Peshawar blast, one dead (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
- US embassy staff barred from entering Peshawar (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Chinese woman shot dead in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Pakistan bars US diplomats from travel without permission - Oct 12, 2011
- Pakistan bars US embassy staff from entering Peshawar - Jul 25, 2011
- Violent incidents in Pakistan since Osama's killing - May 23, 2011
- Arms seized from US officials' cars in Pakistan - Jun 05, 2012
- Three die in blast near UN office in Peshawar (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Two vehicles of US consulate 'with fake license plates' held in Islamabad - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: aid organisations, ayub, car bomb attack, dangerous move, department of state, embassy spokesman, foreign aid, foreigners, heinous act, hussain, information minister, intelligence official, medical treatment, mian, pakistani authorities, perpetrators, residential quarters, tahir, us embassy, victoria nuland