No Americans killed in Peshawar blast: US

September 3rd, 2012 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS  

Islamabad, Sep 3 (IANS) The US embassy here Monday denied that two Americans were killed in a car bomb attack in Peshawar.

An embassy spokesman said they had no reports of any Americans being killed, after provincial information minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain said Americans had died, reported Online news agency.

The US embassy released a statement by Department of State spokesperson Victoria Nuland which stated: “We can confirm that a vehicle belonging to the US consulate in Peshawar was hit in an apparent terrorist attack.

“Two US personnel and two Pakistani staff of the consulate were injured and are receiving medical treatment. No US consulate personnel were killed but we are seeking further information about other victims of this heinous act.

“We stand ready to work with Pakistani authorities on a full investigation so that the perpetrators can be brought to justice.”

Mian Iftikhar had earlier said: “The blast killed two Americans. This is a dangerous move from the terrorists — they want to terrorise the foreigners.”

Police recovered a half-burnt US passport from a car badly damaged in the blast, officials said.

The blast took place near the residential quarters for the US consulate and foreign aid organisations, police officer Tahir Ayub said, adding that at least five people were killed.

“The car targeted was a US consulate vehicle,” an intelligence official said.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in South Asia |

Subscribe