Nine policemen gunned down in Lahore (Lead)July 12th, 2012 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 12 (IANS) Nine police personnel were shot dead Thursday in Lahore in a brazen attack by gunmen who stormed a building where they were asleep, a media report said.
The attackers came on motorcycles and targeted the two-storeyed building in the densely populated area of Ichhra where up to 35 police and prison staff were staying, reported Geo News.
The security personnel had come from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to Lahore for training. Their training was scheduled to be completed July 28.
“The gunmen came early in the morning, entered the building and opened fire,” Lahore police chief Aslam Tareen was quoted as saying.
The assailants fled after the killing.
The attack took place at about 5.45 a.m. Thursday. All the gunmen were wearing masks over their faces during the attack, reported Xinhua citing media reports.
Three gunmen waited outside the building while the other three carrying automatic weapons entered the house and launched the attack, said police and eyewitnesses.
No group has claimed the responsibility for the attack yet.
- Nine policemen shot dead in Pakistan - Jul 12, 2012
- Taliban kill nine policemen in Lahore (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- One killed in attack on Pakistani police station - Jul 16, 2012
- Six terrorists held for Sri Lankan team attack in Lahore - Mar 30, 2011
- Police vehicle attacked in Pakistan - Dec 17, 2011
- Four cops gunned down in Pakistan - Mar 13, 2012
- 18 killed in Pakistani bus ambush (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Gunbattle on as terrorists take hostages at Pakistan naval facility - May 23, 2011
- 15 killed in suicide blasts targeting Shiites in Lahore, Karachi (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Seven dead in Pakistan bus attack (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Suicide bomber attacks Pakistan police station - Jan 14, 2012
- 13 killed in suicide blast in Lahore Shiite procession (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- 13 killed in blast at Peshawar funeral (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Two govt schools blown up in Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province - Mar 26, 2011