NGO report reveals shocking spike in child sexual abuse cases in PakOctober 15th, 2010 - 5:55 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Oct 15 (ANI): In a shocking revelation made by a Pakistani NGO, over one thousand children were sexually abused across the country during the first six months of the current year.
Issued this week, the six-month report of the NGO- Sahil- revealed that a total number of 1,216 children were sexually abused during the first half-of this year, The Nation reported.
Not less than 125 children were sexually abused after abduction, it noted, adding, “A total of 55 cases are those in which both girls and boys are murdered after sexual assault.”
This shows a considerable increase in the cases as compared to last year’s statistics of six months, which had recorded 968 cases. The cases of minor boys and girls have been registered to compile into a report called “Cruel Numbers”.
According to the report, data of the six months from January to June of 2010 reveals that the incidence of child sexual abuse in Pakistan is as frequent as approximately 6 children per day.
A break up analysis of gender continues to show that female reported cases of child sexual abuse are more in number than male cases. “Out of the total 1,216 cases in 6 months, 331 boys whereas 885 girls were sexually abused with 28 per cent boys and 72 per cent girls. This shows that one third of girls have been sexually abused as compared to boys,” the report maintained.
A wide range of abusers have been reported to victimise children. According to statistics, 1,216 children were sexually assaulted by a total of 2,425 abusers, 81 per cent of whom were acquaintances.
The report further indicated that 11-15 years continued to be the most vulnerable age group for both boys and girls, recording the highest number of cases that is, 283. (ANI)
- Over 3 children sexually abused in Pakistan daily: NGO report - Nov 27, 2010
- Over 50,000 children living on Delhi streets - Apr 28, 2011
- How barbaric is Pakistani society, wonders daily - Oct 17, 2011
- Abuse in orphanage: Court refuses to bar fresh probes - Feb 22, 2012
- 'Create a helpline for rape victims' - Mar 02, 2012
- Over 2,500 kids went missing in Karachi last year - Nov 21, 2010
- Sri Lanka records rise in rapes of children - Jul 05, 2012
- Court demands explanations about orpahange excesses - Feb 15, 2012
- Bangladesh disabled kids are sexually abused, claims study - Jul 07, 2010
- 'Gurgaon NGO didn't have permission to run orphanage' - May 05, 2012
- 95 percent of Pak truckers 'indulge in sex with `boy' helpers' - Feb 19, 2010
- Children homes should be strictly monitored: NCPCR - Jan 26, 2012
- Paedophile's house in Russia under siege - Jul 22, 2011
- Sexual grooming of white girls an Asian problem: Official - Jun 08, 2012
- Kids as young as 6 hospitalised with anorexia, bulimia - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: abduction, age group, boys and girls, child sexual abuse, child sexual abuse in pakistan, girls and boys, lahore, minor boys, ngo, sahil, sexual abuse cases, sexual assault, shocking revelation, six months, spike, statistics, vulnerable age