New invention to neutralize hurricanes with help from supersonic jetDecember 2nd, 2008 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 2 (ANI): Scientists have put forward a patent application about developing a supersonic hurricane neutralizer, which can put a spanner in the atmospheric works by flying supersonic jet aircraft in concentric circles around a hurricanes eye, the calm area around which the storm rotates.
According to a report in New Scientist, the idea has been theorized by Arkadii Leonov at the University of Akron in Ohio, US, and his colleagues.
Each year, hurricanes or typhoons may cause billions of dollars worth of damage and a large number of fatalities.
Scientists have been searching for an effective way of reducing the destructive power of these storms from a long time.
Now, Leonov says that the complex air flows and other atmospheric machinery that produce this prodigious power are surprisingly delicate.
In a patent application, Leonov and colleagues say that they can put a spanner in the atmospheric works by flying supersonic jet aircraft in concentric circles around a hurricanes eye, the calm area around which the storm rotates.
The idea is that the sonic-boom shockwave would dramatically raise air pressure in the eye, disrupting the upward flow of warm air that drives the hurricane.
As to how many planes would be needed, Leonov and colleagues say that sonic booms spread out as they travel away from an aircraft, so even a small number of relatively small aircraft could do the job.
Two F-4 jet fighters flying at approximately Mach 1.5 are sufficient to suppress, mitigate and/or destroy a typical sized hurricane/typhoon, they claim in their application. (ANI)
- Navy warns of fighter planes' sonic booms in Goa - Sep 07, 2010
- Soon, supersonic plane that can dampen sonic booms - Jul 01, 2010
- Star formation linked to sonic booms - Apr 14, 2011
- Sonic Boom In Seattle Puzzles Corporate Workers - Aug 18, 2010
- Dazzling fly-past, daring aerobatics mark Aero India launch (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- NASA plans to reduce sonic booms to distant rumbles in jets - Feb 11, 2009
- Aircraft violates Air Force One airspace - Aug 18, 2010
- Clouds to help tame hurricanes - Aug 24, 2012
- Cyclone, typhoon, hurricane - what's the difference? - Nov 11, 2009
- IAF has lost 999 planes in crashes since 1970 - Aug 03, 2011
- Construction on Bloodhound 'supercar' to begin this week - Feb 08, 2011
- New simulators for training air force pilots - May 09, 2012
- Aero India 2011: Global defence majors eyeing big deals from Indian armed forces - Feb 08, 2011
- NOAA Storm Tracker: The Application That Helps Track Alex - Jul 01, 2010
- Sonic Boom Rocks Florida - Feb 22, 2010
Tags: air flows, calm area, concentric circles, destructive power, hurricane typhoon, jet aircraft, jet fighters, leonov, neutralizer, new invention, new scientist, patent application, prodigious power, small aircraft, sonic boom, sonic booms, supersonic jet, typhoons, university of akron, upward flow