New coalition seeks reforms for Indian community in MalaysiaJanuary 4th, 2008 - 4:47 pm ICT by admin
Petaling Jaya, Jan 4 (ANI): A new coalition of 121 Indian non-governmental organisations (NGOs) has called for a “policy of inclusion” to ensure the community’s participation in all levels of the decision-making process.
It has appealed to set up a non-political independent task force to initiate programmes including a moratorium on the demolition of places of worship, education, economic and employment opportunities.
The coalition’s chairman, Datuk A. Vaithilingam, said the organisations also called for the setting-up of a community development fund to be managed by the task force to provide incentives and implement community empowerment programmes.
“We have submitted a preliminary statement comprising of urgent reforms for disadvantaged Indian-Malaysians directly to the Prime Minister’s Office last Friday,” he said.
“The coalition is confident that these proposals will receive due consideration, and look forward to seeing its immediate implementation because we want all parties to work together to develop our unity and harmony in our country,” Vaithilingam added.
More than 15,000 Malaysian Indian Congress members and supporters will gather in Kuala Lumpur on Jan 20 to pledge their support to the Barisan Nasional and Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, Works Minister S. Samy Vellu said.
Samy Vellu said the gathering is aimed at explaining to party members and the community the struggles, achievements and challenges before them, the Star Online reported. (ANI)
- Samy Vellu appointed Malaysia's special envoy to India - Dec 13, 2010
- Samy Vellu to promote infrastructure projects in India - Apr 08, 2011
- Malaysian Indian Congress chief to be business envoy - Nov 22, 2010
- Malay Indian voters to support Barisan Nasional - Apr 23, 2011
- Malaysian PM launches Malay Indian Vellu's 'tell-all' biography - Dec 12, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress battling to woo back Indian vote bank - May 26, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress seeks to reinvent itself - May 07, 2010
- Malaysian Indian leader to seek more business ties in India - Jan 03, 2011
- Stop bickering, Malaysian PM tells ethnic Indian politicians - Jul 11, 2010
- Malaysian PM asks all Indian parties to join Barisan Nasional - Sep 29, 2009
- Malaysian Indian Congress to have new leader after 31 years - Dec 03, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress chief 'under pressure to quit' - May 07, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress president Vellu says he's 'invincible' - Jul 05, 2010
- Malay Govt. hoping to win back Malay Indian vote with aid project - Aug 17, 2010
- Malay Indian party's by-election campaign to focus on all races - Apr 08, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,