Nepal Maoists general strike enters second dayMay 3rd, 2010 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, May 3 (ANI): The second day of general strike called by the Unified CPN (Maoist) as part of its fourth phase agitation against the government has further crippled normal life across the country on Monday.
Large number of Maoist cadres brought from various districts to Kathmandu are staging demonstrations on the streets of Kathmandu by singing, dancing and occasionally chanting slogans against the government.
Although, the major marketplaces are shut, smaller shops in the city interiors were open briefly in the morning. Vegetable markets had only stale vegetables.
Likewise, due to the stringent imposition of the shutdown people were forced to walk to their offices and destinations. So far, the strike has been peaceful with no reports of clashes and unruly activities.
Maoist activists have marked their presence in major thoroughfares of the capital including Kalanki, Koteshwor, Baneshwor, Chabahil.
Meanwhile, Maoist vice-chairman Dr Baburam Bhattarai has said that there is no alternative left than to continue with the indefinite strike unless there is guarantee of a pro-people constitution and peace.
Nepalnews quoted him as, saying that the nationwide movement his party is waging would be decisive and topple the current government to replace it with a national unity government.
He also expressed his disgust at efforts to give continuity to the current government by issuing threats of army deployment, but said they will never be successful.
Dr Bhattarai, however, said that the party is open to dialogue to resolve contentious issues and find a way out of the current crisis. (ANI)
- Nepal Maoists general strike enters third day - May 04, 2010
- Maoist strike paralyses normal life across Nepal - May 02, 2010
- Maoists trying to create anarchy in Nepal: PM - May 02, 2010
- Nepal opposition plans anti-government protest - Jun 05, 2012
- Nepal gets a new cabinet - May 06, 2012
- Nepal Maoists hail PM's resignation - Jul 01, 2010
- Nepal parties reach power sharing deal - May 03, 2012
- Nepal's opposition parties to hold anti-PM rally - Jun 02, 2012
- Nepal trade unions warn of fresh strikes - Jul 20, 2011
- Nepal Maoists taken off US terror list - Sep 07, 2012
- Stage set for Nepal PM's India visit - Oct 02, 2011
- Voting for new Nepal PM today - Jul 21, 2010
- NC, UML stick to old stance: Nepal PM not stepping down - May 07, 2010
- Maoists refuse Nepal PM's call to join govt - May 27, 2009
- Will 13 prove lucky for Nepal's new PM? - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: agitation, army deployment, cadres, clashes, contentious issues, continuity, cpn maoist, demonstrations, disgust, fourth phase, imposition, indefinite strike, maoist, marketplaces, national unity government, nepal maoists, slogans, thoroughfares, vegetable markets, vice chairman