Nawaz-Musharraf ‘ten-year exile agreement’ expiresDecember 11th, 2010 - 6:11 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Dec 11(ANI): The ten-year exile accord signed between former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and former military ruler Pervez Musharraf has expired, a private TV channel has reported.
Although Nawaz never confirmed on record his signing of the agreement with Musharraf, under which he was banished from the country, the document, however, bears his signature, the Daily Times reports.
In the agreement, the Sharif brothers had agreed to live in exile for 10 years, and declared that they would not participate in the country’s politics in this period.
According to the channel, the Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) leader had said in the agreement: “I, Muhammad Nawaz Sharif, accept the help by a personality for negotiation for the release from imprisonment in Pakistan. I am satisfied with this whole process of the negotiation.”
Ensuing the accord, Nawaz Sharif, along with his family, was exiled in December 2000.
It is noteworthy that according to a diplomatic cable unveiled by whistle-blower website WikiLeaks, the Saudi Arabian Ambassador to the US, Adel al-Jubeir, asserted that the “Saudi government (SAG) had offered Sharif a pledge of protection and asylum in the Kingdom after his ouster by Musharraf in return for a promise that he would refrain from political activity for ten years.”
He added that Sharif had begun to attempt to test the limits of this promise five or six years in his exile. “Sharif broke his promise by conducting political activity while in the Kingdom,” the cable quoted the Saudi Ambassador, as saying. (ANI)
- Nawaz 'disappointed' Saudis by violating promise of abstaining from politics: WikiLeaks - Dec 03, 2010
- Saudi rulers looking for 'another Musharraf' in place of 'rotten head' Zardari as Pak ruler - Dec 02, 2010
- '10-yr-ban on politics' claim "highly ridiculous" for politically active Nawaz: PML-N - Dec 03, 2010
- Saudi Arabia distances itself from WikiLeaks expose - Dec 01, 2010
- Musharraf offers olive branch to archrival Nawaz Sharif - Apr 17, 2011
- Nawaz untrustworthy, entire PML-N leadership double-faced: PML-Q leader - Dec 05, 2010
- Obama calls Saudi envoy on assassination attempt - Oct 12, 2011
- Iran demands apology from US - Oct 31, 2011
- Sharif refused to quit politics in spite of 'death threats from dictator': Pervaiz Rasheed - Nov 21, 2010
- Iran does not need assassinations: Ahmadinejad - Oct 16, 2011
- Musharraf wanted technocrat-led Pak govt within months of 2008 elections: WikiLeaks - Dec 05, 2010
- Nawaz Sharif a liar, says Musharraf - Jun 25, 2011
- US issues worldwide travel alert for its nationals - Oct 12, 2011
- Iran to respond 'strongly' to any 'destructive' US act - Oct 16, 2011
- No 'direct contact' with US : Iran - Oct 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,