NATO endorses Obama’s exit plan from AfghanistanMay 22nd, 2012 - 10:44 am ICT by IANS
Chicago, May 22 (IANS) NATO leaders have endorsed President Barack Obama’s plan for the withdrawal of the US-led international military force from Afghanistan by the end of 2014 in the midst of a decade long war.
NATO leaders were leaving Chicago with “a clear road map” to bring the war in Afghanistan to a “responsible end,” Obama said during a news conference Monday at the end of the two-day summit focused on the future of Afghanistan.
“We’re now unified behind a plan to responsibly wind down the war in Afghanistan,” he said calling the decision a “major step” toward the end of the war.
But Obama acknowledged that “real challenges” remained in dealing with the problems across the border in Pakistan, and that the conference had not resolved the impasse over reopening supply lines or the other tensions about the fight against insurgents operating from safe havens there.
“We think that Pakistan has to be part of the solution in Afghanistan,” he said. “Neither country is going to have the kind of security, stability and prosperity that it needs unless they can resolve some of these outstanding issues.
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said he expected an agreement soon for Pakistan to reopen its border with Afghanistan to military shipments of departing NATO forces, which would resolve a sticky issue in planning the withdrawal of foreign forces.
“So far, the closure of the transit routes has not had a major impact on our operations,” Rasmussen said, but added the transit routes were very important and that he expected their reopening “in the very near future.”
Pakistan closed the ground routes after a NATO airstrike in November killed two dozen of its soldiers. NATO insists the incident was an accident. Obama offered his condolences but refused to apologize.
The United States and Pakistan have not come to an agreement on the price of reopening the supply lines, CNN said citing senior administration officials.
The exit strategy which is backed by Afghan President Hamid Karzai, calls for handing over security responsibilities to Afghan forces in 2013, then withdrawing foreign forces the following year.
After that, a new and different NATO mission will advise, train and assist the expected 350,000-strong Afghanistan force, Rasmussen said.
- Zardari-NATO chief meet postponed due to plane delay - May 20, 2012
- Obama to meet Karzai in Chicago - May 18, 2012
- NATO welcomes Pakistan reopening supply lines - Jul 04, 2012
- Zardari leaves for US to attend NATO summit - May 18, 2012
- Obama 'briefly' meets Zardari - May 22, 2012
- NATO on course for planned Afghan withdrawal: Merkel - May 05, 2012
- It's not business as usual with Pakistan: NATO - Jul 03, 2012
- NATO asks Pakistan to open transit routes - Apr 20, 2012
- Zardari to attend NATO summit in Chicago - May 18, 2012
- NATO won't pay $5,000 per truck to Pakistan: Panetta - May 20, 2012
- NATO summit kicks off in Chicago - May 21, 2012
- Pakistan to reopen supply routes to Afghanistan: Clinton (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- NATO to continue military pressure on Haqqani network - Nov 03, 2011
- Differences with Pakistan being worked out, says US enovy - May 21, 2012
- Pakistan backs NATO's 2014 Afghanistan handover deadline - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: administration officials, airstrike, anders fogh rasmussen, barack obama, cnn, condolences, exit plan, impasse, international military force, leaving chicago, military shipments, nato forces, nato leaders, nato secretary general, road map, safe havens, senior administration, sticky issue, transit routes, war in afghanistan