Nationwide protests in Pakistan over power outagesAugust 1st, 2012 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 1 (IANS) Protests are being staged in several cities and towns of Pakistan over unabated hours-long loadshedding, Geo News reported Wednesday.
In the provinces of Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in particular, people protested by burning tyres, hurling stones at the police, raising slogans against the authorities and blocking roads and highways, Geo News reported Wednesday.
In Peshawar, thousands of people from three villages on the city’s outskirts blocked the Circular Road early Wednesday morning.
The demonstrators put barriers and torched tyres to block the road venting their anger against the prolonged unannounced power outages stretching over 20 hours in this scorching summer.
The water supply has also ceased due to continued loadshedding.
The protesters vowed to continue their protests until the loadshedding issue was addressed to their satisfaction.
Heavy contingent of police remained deployed for meeting any eventuality.
Meanwhile, the situation in Punjab was reported to be worsening as protests in Lahore and other cities and towns had so far received no sympathetic response either from the provincial or federal governments or other authorities.
Persistent loadshedding and acute water shortage forced the people to come out on the roads here, news reports said.
- Dust storm blinds Pakistan provinces - Mar 20, 2012
- Protests in Islamabad over closure of public transport - Jan 02, 2012
- Power cuts darken Pakistan in Ramzan - Aug 04, 2011
- Gilani grants Rs.6 bn for overcoming power crisis - Mar 30, 2012
- Pakistani CM joins protests against federal government - May 11, 2012
- Long power cuts spark ire in Pakistani Punjab - Mar 25, 2012
- Pakistanis to witness increased power outages - Mar 10, 2012
- Pakistan power shortfall reaches 6,000 MW - May 27, 2012
- Three killed in Karachi violence - Jun 15, 2012
- 15 dead as dust storms lash Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- CNG crisis triggers violent protests in Pakistan (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Protests over power cuts in Pakistan - Jul 29, 2012
- Car packed with arms seized in Pakistan - Jan 30, 2012
- Dust storms kill 10 in Pakistan - Jun 06, 2012
- Three Pakistani officials taken hostage, released - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: acute water shortage, anger, circular road, cities and towns, contingent, demonstrators, eventuality, federal governments, geo news, highways, news reports, outskirts, power outages, protesters, protests, punjab, slogans, sympathetic response, water supply, wednesday morning