National interests to define US-Pakistan ties: GilaniJune 5th, 2012 - 1:01 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 5 (IANS) Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said Pakistan-US relations are multi-dimensional and important but the country’s national interests will determine the ties between the two.
Stating that the country had improved its relations with its neighbours like India, Iran and Afghanistan, Gilani added Pakistan was paying special attention in making its neighbourhood peaceful, stable, and prosperous, Associated Press of Pakistan reported.
Gilani was speaking at the Command and Staff College in Balochistan’s Quetta city Monday where he also said that a thriving, prosperous, transparent, and peaceful Afghanistan was in the interest of Pakistan.
“We are trying to have an open, transparent, and mutually beneficial relationship with the US based on our national interests,” he said.
“We have improved our relations with all our neighbours including Afghanistan, India and Iran,” Gilani said, adding “we want to play our role in the stability and peace in Afghanistan.”
Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kiyani was also present on the occasion.
- Stable Afghanistan in Pakistan's interest: Gilani - Jul 13, 2011
- Zardari slams militants for exploiting religion - Mar 17, 2012
- Clinton, Gilani discuss bilateral ties - Jun 06, 2011
- ISAF commander meets Pakistan army chief (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Pakistan hosts envoy from China amid tension with army - Dec 24, 2011
- Pakistan's 'honour' not to be bartered for 'prosperity': Kayani - May 01, 2011
- Pakistan to give military training to Afghan army - Nov 04, 2011
- US patience on Pak's indecision on N.Waziristan operation running out, warns Joe Biden - Jan 13, 2011
- You can't keep snakes in backyard, Clinton tells Pakistan - Oct 21, 2011
- 'Major strides in reducing trust deficit with Pakistan' - Mar 09, 2012
- Zardari wants early finalisation of engagement plan with EU - Aug 02, 2011
- Pakistani PM asks militants to shun violence - Oct 11, 2011
- Improve ties with India, Gilani to Salman Bashir - Mar 07, 2012
- Zardari to US: Need clear terms of engagement on terror war - Aug 02, 2011
- Pakistan's foreign policy is successful: Gilani - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: afghanistan, army chief, ashfaq, associated press, balochistan, beneficial relationship, chief general, iran, islamabad, kiyani, national interests, neighbourhood, neighbours, pakistan, parvez, prime minister, quetta city, raza, staff college, yousuf