Muslims in Bihar offer prayers for Sarabjit’s releaseMarch 18th, 2008 - 10:36 pm ICT by admin
Patna, March 18 (IANS) A group of Muslims offered prayers at a Sufi saint’s tomb in the Bihar capital for the release of Sarabjit Singh, an Indian prisoner who is slated to be hanged in Pakistan April 1. Before offering prayers at the Sufi saint’s tomb near the Patna High Court building, the group took out a protest march against the decision of the Pakistan government to hang him.
“We offered prayers, flowers and a chadar at the saint’s tomb for safe return of Sarabjit Singh to India,” Tasneem Jamal, who led a group of Muslims to offer prayers at the tomb of Sufi saint Hazrat Saheed Ghulam Safdar Pir Murad, told IANS Tuesday.
Tasneem Jamal, who is general secretary of Sai Biradri that represents Dalit Muslims, said that they took out the protest march here to show their solidarity with him. “By protesting and offering prayers, we sent a message to Pakistan to free Sarabjit Singh, who is innocent,” she said.
The Indian Muslim Development Foundation (IMDF), a Bihar-based organisation, has urged President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi to immediately initiate efforts for his release.
“The Indian government should intervene for Sarabjit’s release from Pakistan jail,” said IMDF director M.I. Khan.
Sarabjit, who Pakistan claims is actually Manjit Singh, was sentenced to death for his alleged involvement in the bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan that killed 14 people in 1991.
His sister Dalbir Kaur met Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi to seek support for her brother’s release.
Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf rejected his mercy plea close on the heels of the release of Kashmir Singh, another death row prisoner. Pakistan’s Supreme Court also rejected his mercy petition in March 2006.
- Zardari prays at Ajmer Sharif, donates $ 1m - Apr 08, 2012
- Fates of Sarabjit, Chishty figure in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Zardari prays at Ajmer dargah, donates $1mn (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- The journey to Ajmer Sharif - from Akbar to Zardari - Apr 05, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Bansal offers chadar at Ajmer on PM's behalf - Apr 08, 2012
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Precious gifts, special prayers for Zardaris at Ajmer shrine (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: bomb blasts, chadar, death row prisoner, indian muslim, manmohan singh, mercy petition, pakistan government, pakistan president pervez musharraf, patna high court, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, protest march, rahul gandhi, sonia gandhi, sufi saint, tasneem jamal