Muslim states vow one billion dollar aid to flood-hit PakistanAugust 30th, 2010 - 4:52 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Aug 30(ANI): Muslim countries and organizations have pledged nearly a billion dollars in cash and relief supplies to help Pakistan recover from the worst floods in its history, the head of a group of Islamic states has said.
Addressing a joint press conference with Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi in Islamabad, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, head of the 57-member Organization of The Islamic Conference (OIC), said that the pledges came from OIC institutions and telethons held in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar
“They [Muslim countries and organizations] have shown that they are one of the largest contributors of assistance both in kind and cash,” The Dawn quoted Ihsanoglu, as saying.
The announcement came as rising waters inundated the city of Thatta in Sindh province, and threatened the nearby town of Sujawal, home to 250,000 people.
The OIC is an international organization with a permanent delegation to the United Nations.
It groups 57 member states, from the Middle East, Africa, Central Asia, Caucasus, Balkans, Southeast Asia, South Asia and South America (Guyana and Suriname). (ANI)
- Saudi Islamic summit to discuss Myanmar violence - Aug 12, 2012
- Avoid civilian casualties in Libya: OIC - Mar 24, 2011
- Gilani seeks constant OIC support on Kashmir issue - Jan 12, 2011
- UAE reiterates support to Myanmar Muslims - Jul 14, 2012
- OIC condemns Delhi blast - Sep 08, 2011
- India terms OIC's Kashmir description 'most regrettable' - Jun 22, 2011
- Obama appoints Rashad Hussain as special envoy for Muslim world - Feb 14, 2010
- India dismayed at OIC stance on Mumbai attack - May 29, 2009
- OIC condemns attack on Indian embassy in Kabul - Jul 08, 2008
- India rejects OIC reference on Kashmir - Aug 17, 2012
- Thousands evacuated as floods threaten Pakistani province - Aug 27, 2010
- US can work with Muslims, Obama tells OIC - Feb 02, 2009
- International meet in Cairo to discuss Libya crisis - Apr 14, 2011
- India rejects OIC resolution on Kashmir - Jul 01, 2011
- OIC Secy-Gen urges India to release Kashmiri leaders - Nov 07, 2008
Tags: africa central, central asia, islamic states, mahmood qureshi, member organization, muslim countries, muslim states, nearby town, one billion, organization of the islamic conference, pakistan islamabad, saudi arabia, shah mahmood, south america guyana, South Asia, southeast asia, telethons, thatta, united arab emirates, worst floods