Musharraf’s interview presented in court in connection with Benazir assassination caseApril 23rd, 2011 - 5:30 pm ICT by ANI
Rawalpindi, April 23(ANI): An interview of former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has been produced before the Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) hearing the Benazir Bhutto assassination case.
Musharraf, during whose presidency former Prime Minister Benazir’s assassination took place in Rawalpindi on December 27, 2007, was not named an accused in the original FIR, but the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) later required him for investigation and named him in the case suspecting him of abetment/conspiracy, following which the court issued non-bailable arrest warrants thrice for him.
The notice, however, remained un-executed the third time as well, as no arrest of Musharraf, who lives in London, could come about.
The FIA presented the copy of Musharraf’s exclusive interview with Dawn News during hearing at the Adiala jail in Rawalpindi on Saturday, the channel reported.
The FIA informed the court that Musharraf was aware of the warrants issued against him. It also informed the court about the British Government’s refusal to process arrest warrants against the former military ruler.
It is noteworthy that the British government has refused to hand over Musharraf to Pakistan in connection with the Benazir assassination case, owing to the absence of any extradition treaty between both nations.
The court ordered the FIA to submit a report, and adjourned the hearing until May 7.
Musharraf is alleged to have been part of a “broad conspiracy” to have his political rival Benazir killed before elections, though the exact nature of the charges against him is not clear. (ANI)
- Pak court directs FIA to implement Musharraf's arrest warrant in BB murder case - Apr 09, 2011
- FIA asks Pak court to declare Musharraf 'absconder' in Benazir murder case - Apr 24, 2011
- Pakistan has not yet requested Britain for Musharraf's extradition: Cameron - Apr 06, 2011
- Pak probe agency gets 15 days to produce Musharraf in court in BB murder case - Mar 06, 2011
- Musharraf's arrest warrant issued for 'third time' in Benazir murder case - Mar 05, 2011
- Benazir assassination case: Pak to seek Interpol help in netting Musharraf - Mar 27, 2011
- Pakistan court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf - Feb 13, 2011
- Musharraf to defy Pak court's non-bailable arrest warrant in Benazir murder case - Feb 13, 2011
- Anti-Terrorism Court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf in Benazir murder case - Feb 12, 2011
- Pak Govt to tap Interpol for Musharraf's return in BB murder case if court directs so - Feb 13, 2011
- FIA sends Musharraf's arrest warrant to Pak High Commission in London - Mar 07, 2011
- Musharraf can't escape arrest in BB murder case for long: Experts - Apr 03, 2011
- UK refuses to hand over Musharraf to Pakistan in absence of extradition treaty - Apr 03, 2011
- Pak FIA told to produce Musharraf in court on March 26 - Mar 19, 2011
- Benazir Bhutto's assassins arrested: Malik - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: absence, arrest warrants, benazir bhutto, british government, conspiracy, dawn news, exact nature, extradition treaty, federal investigation, fir, former prime minister, investigation agency, military ruler, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, political rival, presidency, president pervez musharraf, terrorism, third time