Musharraf warrant valid till compliance: Pakistan to InterpolMay 21st, 2012 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 21 (IANS) Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has informed the Interpol that the arrest warrant for former president Pervez Musharraf issued by an anti-terrorism court will remain valid till its compliance.
“The Interpol, through a letter, had asked from FIA about the expiry date of the arrest warrant. In response, we have conveyed them that it will remain valid till the arrest of Musharraf,” FIA public prosecutor Chaudhry Zulfiqar was quoted as saying by Dawn News Monday.
The arrest warrant will remain effective till handing over of Musharraf to Pakistan or unless the trial court itself cancels it, he said.
He said the Interpol has been informed that the warrant was issued by the court in the case of the suicide attack on former prime minister Benazir Bhutto in Rawalpindi in 2007, and due to Musharraf’s continued absence from attending court proceedings.
The Senate — the upper house of parliament — had passed a resolution demanding Musharraf be arrested and tried for treason for unconstitutional acts during his regime.
Among the charges against Musharraf are the 2007 assassination of Bhutto.
A UN report in 2010 accused the Musharraf-led government of failing to protect Bhutto, who had returned to Pakistan from exile to run for prime minister.
Musharraf, who has been living in London and Dubai since resigning in 2008, has denied the allegations.
- Pakistan taps Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Mar 01, 2012
- Musharraf to be arrested on return to Pakistan - Jan 07, 2012
- Pakistan court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf - Feb 13, 2011
- Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Feb 25, 2012
- Pak Govt to tap Interpol for Musharraf's return in BB murder case if court directs so - Feb 13, 2011
- Britain can't arrest Musharraf for lack of treaty, court told - Apr 23, 2011
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Bhutto murder: New arrest warrant against Musharraf - Feb 19, 2011
- Musharraf to defy Pak court's non-bailable arrest warrant in Benazir murder case - Feb 13, 2011
- Pak FIA told to produce Musharraf in court on March 26 - Mar 19, 2011
- Musharraf's interview presented in court in connection with Benazir assassination case - Apr 23, 2011
- FIA asks Pak court to declare Musharraf 'absconder' in Benazir murder case - Apr 24, 2011
- Pak probe agency gets 15 days to produce Musharraf in court in BB murder case - Mar 06, 2011
- Arrest warrant against Musharraf reissued in Benazir case - Jun 11, 2011
- 'Zardari stopped Pak authorities from conducting autopsy on Benazir's body' - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: arrest warrant, benazir bhutto, court proceedings, dawn news, expiry date, federal investigation, fia, former president, former prime minister, house of parliament, interpol, investigation agency, islamabad, living in london, pervez musharraf, public prosecutor, rawalpindi, suicide attack, trial court, upper house of parliament