Musharraf should be restrained from reimposing emergency: PostDecember 29th, 2007 - 3:43 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Dec 29 (ANI): President Pervez Musharraf should be restrained from reimposing emergency, which would again set him at odds with Pakistan’s media and civil society, the Washington Post has said.
The Post quoted Musharrafs advisers as saying that he will call off the January 8 elections, which he scheduled only under pressure from the Bush Administration.
The paper also criticised Nawaz Sharif for saying that he would boycott the vote and called on Musharraf to resign — in what looked like an irresponsible attempt to take advantage of the outburst of anti-government feeling sparked by Benazir Bhuttos assassination.
At this juncture the most urgent step Musharraf should take is to nab the culprits behind Bhuttos murder and order a full and credible investigation.
In the absence of such a clear accounting, conspiracy theories blaming Musharraf or the military for Bhutto’s death will probably proliferate, to the further benefit of the Islamists, the Post claimed.
At the same time, the Bush Administration should follow up aggressively on the President George Bush’s suggestion that Pakistan “honour Bhutto’s memory by continuing with the democratic process for which she so bravely gave her life.”
Elections — held on January 8 or soon afterward — and a restored democracy remain the best way for the centrist majority in Pakistan to rally against the forces of extremism that yesterday realized a great, though despicable, victory, the Paper said. (ANI)
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Musharraf delays return to Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistani PM vows supremacy of parliament - Jun 23, 2012
- 'Musharraf will be arrested if he returns' - Jan 27, 2012
- Judge rejects list of Musharraf's properties - Jul 10, 2011
- The WikiLeaks expose: A wake up call for India - Jul 29, 2010
- Pakistani leaders harp on US apology for NATO air strike (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Feb 25, 2012
- Musharraf quit Pak presidency on my prodding: Bush - Nov 17, 2010
- Musharraf and his men behind Bhutto killing: Pakistani scribe - Feb 17, 2011
- Bhutto case: US journalist becomes witness - Sep 10, 2011
- Rumsfeld: Death of Bin Laden a victory in the fight against Islamist terrorism - May 04, 2011
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- 'Zardari stopped Pak authorities from conducting autopsy on Benazir's body' - Dec 23, 2010
- FIA sends Musharraf's arrest warrant to Pak High Commission in London - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: benazir, bhutto, bush administration, conspiracy theories, credible investigation, culprits, democracy, extremism, george bush, honour, irresponsible attempt, islamists, juncture, odds, outburst, pakistan, president george bush, s media, sharif, washington post