Musharraf says his party is prepared for early Pak pollsJanuary 4th, 2011 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Dubai, Jan 4 (ANI): Former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has said his newly formed party is prepared for possible early elections.
His comments came at a time when the federal government in Islamabad is scrambling to save its ruling coalition, following its key ally Muttaheda Qaumi Movement’s decision to sit on opposition benches in parliament.
Musharraf, who launched the All Pakistan Muslim League (APML) in October 2010, said he would return to Pakistan “before the next election”.
“We are ready to contest elections,” the Daily Times quoted him, as telling reporters at his apartment in Dubai.
“A little more time would be useful as we are a new party. However, we will definitely try if the elections come early,” the APML leader added.
Earlier, Musharraf had announced that he had a good chance of winning the next presidential election due in 2013, and he would return to his country before that to “introduce a new political culture,” though he recognised that on his return, he would have to face some legal cases and also that there would be danger to his life.
The former military chief reiterated: “I must return (to Pakistan) well before the next elections, whenever that may be.” (ANI)
- Musharraf vows to return to Pak before next polls - Jan 11, 2011
- Foreign secret agents freely roaming in Pakistan: Musharraf - Mar 25, 2011
- Don't come back, ISI chief told Musharraf in Dubai - Jan 24, 2012
- Poll panel ignores Musharraf's application for party - Jun 16, 2011
- 'Brainless' Nawaz will ruin Pak if re-elected as PM: Musharraf - Oct 03, 2010
- Nobody can stop Musharraf's return to Pakistan: APML - Apr 19, 2011
- Musharraf delays return to Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- Musharraf reiterates he'll return to Pakistan before elections - Apr 16, 2011
- 'Scared' Musharraf dumps plan to return to Pakistan - Apr 10, 2011
- Musharraf to hold public meet via video Sunday - Apr 16, 2011
- Pakistan gets 14 parties, not Musharraf's (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Musharraf's party formally launched in Islamabad - Sep 20, 2010
- Leadership change essential for Pakistan's survival: Musharraf - Apr 18, 2011
- Musharraf offers olive branch to archrival Nawaz Sharif - Apr 17, 2011
- Musharraf approaching international powers to fob off Pak govt 'witch hunt' - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: ally, apartment, apml, contest elections, federal government, good chance, islamabad, little more time, military chief, next presidential election, opposition benches, pakistan muslim league, pakistan president pervez musharraf, parliament, pervez musharraf, political culture, polls, president pervez musharraf