Musharraf rejects Sarabjit`s mercy petitionMarch 5th, 2008 - 4:34 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Mar. 5 (ANI): Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has reportedly rejected the mercy petition of Sarabjit Singh, the Indian condemned to death for his alleged involvement in four bomb blasts in Pakistan in 1990.
Sarabjit, who Pakistan claims is Manjit Singh, was sentenced to death for his alleged involvement in the bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan that killed 14 people.
His family denies he was a spy as claimed by Pakistan and insists he accidentally strayed into Pakistani territory.
According to Pakistans NNI news agency, Musharraf rejected the mercy appeal filed by Sarabjit after “thorough consideration”.
The allegations against Sarabjit “were proved and he was awarded capital punishment by court”, the sources said.
The “black warrant” or death warrant for Sarabjit could be issued at “any time”, NNI reported.
However, Sarabjit’s Lahore-based lawyer Rana Abdul Hamid said he had not been informed officially about the rejection of the mercy petition.
The development came a day after Kashmir Singh, another Indian national who was sentenced to death on charges of spying, was reunited with his family. Two years ago, Musharraf had said he would take a decision about Sarabjit after looking into the legal aspects of his case.
Sarabjit had sent a mercy petition to Musharraf seeking release on the grounds that he was innocent and wrongly implicated.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court also rejected Sarabjit’s mercy petition in March 2006. (ANI)
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: allegations, bomb blasts, capital punishment, death warrant, hamid, kashmir, lahore, lawyer, legal aspects, manjit singh, mercy petition, multan, news agency, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pakistani territory, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, rejection, sarabjit singh, supreme court