Musharraf leaves for Europe tourJanuary 20th, 2008 - 2:48 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Jan 20 (ANI): Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf today left for Europe tour to meet with dignitaries in Britain, France, Belgium and at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
He will be looking to bolster his, and Pakistans image. Musharraf will like to re-establish his credibility with the EU nations, after months of political turmoil in the country.
Musharraf will also meet with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice while in Davos, and will look to reiterate Pakistan’s commitment to both the war on terror, and the democratic process.
Earlier, Musharraf and Prime Minister Mohammedmian Soomro urged the nation to rise above radicalism, sectarianism and prejudices to counter the forces spreading dissent in the society.
In separate messages to the nation on Muharram, the two leaders warned about the challenges confronting the country and the need for standing united, seeking guidance from Islamic teachings and by rising above all differences to meet these threats.
“We have to adopt great teachings of Islam by rising above sectarian, regional and petty differences. We also have to strengthen peace, harmony and brotherhood in the society,” Musharraf said.
Musharraf said Pakistan was facing circumstances that required adhering to the spirit of Usswa-e-Shabbiri - the doings of Hazrat Imam Hussain -for country’s security and defence.
He asked the nation to work hand-in-hand for the projection of prosperity and eradication of ignorance from the society. (ANI)
- Zardari, Gilani greet Pakistanis on Eid - Aug 30, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani greet nation on Eid-ul-Zuha - Nov 07, 2011
- The journey to Ajmer Sharif - from Akbar to Zardari - Apr 05, 2012
- Promote tolerance, repulse extremism: Zardari - Aug 20, 2012
- Terrorism result of Musharraf's pro-US policies: Shahbaz Sharif - Mar 15, 2010
- 8,000 Rangers to guard Karachi during Muharram - Nov 26, 2011
- 'Sufi shrines targeted to trigger sectarian conflicts in Pakistan' (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- 'Sufi shrines being targeted to cause sectarian conflicts' - Oct 26, 2010
- Pakistan takes up Florida Quran desecration with UN - Mar 23, 2011
- Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood forms party to contest elections - May 01, 2011
- Six suicide bombers arrested in Pakistan - Dec 16, 2010
- PM greets nation on Milad-un-Nabi - Feb 26, 2010
- Indian national nabbed in northwest Pakistan suspected as terrorist - Nov 28, 2010
- Annual Urs of Hazrat Shah Asrar celebrated with religious fervor in J-K - Nov 14, 2010
- Gilani says Islam has no room for terrorism - Mar 01, 2010
Tags: brotherhood, davos switzerland, dignitaries, dissent, doings, eradication, europe tour, france belgium, imam hussain, islamic teachings, pervez musharraf, petty differences, political turmoil, prejudices, radicalism, sectarianism, state condoleezza rice, teachings of islam, war on terror, world economic forum