Musharraf handed over Pak airports to US without consulting defence chiefsDecember 7th, 2009 - 1:34 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Dec. 7 (ANI): Former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf did not consult with the corps commanders before allowing US forces to use Pakistani airports, a retired Pakistan Army general has alleged.
The Dawn quoted former Chief of General Staff, Lt-Gen (retd) Shahid Aziz, as saying that Musharraf had not taken corps commanders into confidence before giving control of Jacobabad and Pasni airports to the US.
In fact, Gen Aziz claimed, Musharraf took most decision regarding Pakistan’s support to the US without the knowledge of top military brass.
The then director-general military operations (Gen Aziz) and the DGs of ISI and MI were told about giving only ‘touch down’ facilities to US helicopters in case of emergency landing for medical reasons and that too when Jacobabad airport had already been handed over to the US forces, he said.
“We came to know much later that airport had been completely handed over when a battalion from Quetta reached Jacobabad for airport security, the Pakistan army personnel were stopped by US troops from entering the area,” Gen Aziz said.
It was only then that senior army officers came to know that the US authorities had set up a large ammunition depot and their planes were using the airport for regular flights to and from Afghanistan. (ANI)
- Reshuffle in top brass of Pakistan Army - Apr 16, 2011
- Top Pakistan Army officers meet - Aug 11, 2012
- Sukna land scam: Lt.Gen. Avadesh Prakash sacked by court martial (Roundup) - Dec 03, 2011
- Sukna scam: Lt.Gen. Avadesh Prakash dismissed from service - Dec 03, 2011
- Varun Gandhi among MPs at Indian Army exercise - Dec 03, 2011
- No vindictiveness in show cause notice: Army chief (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Army chief visits Ladakh - Nov 05, 2011
- Pak military forced govt. to record protest with UN on Benazir murder report - Dec 25, 2010
- 'Bullied' Musharraf deceived military officials on US war on terror : Ex-Pak Gen - Dec 10, 2009
- Land scam: Army set to court martial Lt. Gen. Avadesh Prakash - May 19, 2011
- Won't support any coup, says Imran Khan - Jan 12, 2012
- Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh is new army vice chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Retiring ISI DG likely to get extension - Feb 10, 2010
- Ex-military colleagues back Musharraf's return - Jan 23, 2012
- Army ex-chief faces court, granted bail in defamation case (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: airport security, army general, army officers, army personnel, corps commanders, defence chiefs, dgs, emergency landing, general staff, helicopters, jacobabad, medical reasons, military brass, military operations, pakistan army, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pasni, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, shahid