‘Musharraf engineered defeat of 10 PML-Q leaders in 2008 polls’May 12th, 2009 - 2:59 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, May 12 (ANI): Former Pakistan President General (r) Pervez Musharraf engineered the defeat of ten PML-Q ministers in the 2008 polls to show the world that elections were free and transparent, Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid President Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain has claimed.
The Daily Times quoted Hussain as saying that the defeat of 10 PML-Q ministers in the 2008 general elections was ‘pre-planned’, and Musharraf had prepared a list of 10 ministers who were to be defeated.
Claiming that his name was added to the list at the ‘very last minute’, Hussain said he conveyed to Musharraf after the elections that his party’s defeat was engineered.
However, former foreign minister Khursheed Kasuri said the list Shujaat had referred to was prepared by PML-Q leader Pervaiz Elahi, instead of Musharraf.
He said list making was part of Elahi’s plan to become prime minister.
Hussain said that what happened in the past must be forgotten, and all political parties must unite to move forward, as the country was passing through a very difficult time.
On the question of influencing Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer’s decision to transfer posted officials during governor’s rule in Punjab, Hussain rejected that the decision was “in line with my demand”. (ANI)
- Benazir's 'assassin' being made Pakistan's Deputy PM: Qureshi - May 01, 2011
- Widow of Lahore shootout victim not satisfied with Punjab Govt's efforts in Davis case - Mar 09, 2011
- 'Sworn enemies' Musharraf, Sharif and Zardari are 'famous Facebook friends'! - Mar 19, 2011
- Nawaz, Shahbaz Sharif defaulters in nine Pakistani banks - May 17, 2010
- Pakistan's ruling party, PML-Q try to corner Nawaz Sharif - Oct 27, 2010
- Musharraf has 'lost his senses' after losing dictatorship: Raja Riaz - Oct 10, 2010
- Pak Election Commission doubtful about degrees of 298 lawmakers - Jan 12, 2011
- Musharraf never consulted PML-Q on NRO, Benazir 'deal': Ch Zaheer - Oct 08, 2010
- President enjoys immunity, Pakistan PM tells apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Pir Pagara distances himself from Musharraf - Oct 08, 2010
- PML-Q to get Deputy PM post, several ministries on joining PPP-led Pak Govt: Report - Apr 30, 2011
- PPP, PML-Q strike power-sharing deal - May 02, 2011
- Musharraf in Dubai to meet 'old friends' to garner support for political ambition - Jul 05, 2010
- Pakistan on the brink of economic collapse, says PML-Q - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: chaudhry shujaat hussain, foreign minister, general elections, last minute, pakistan muslim league, pervez musharraf, pml, political parties, polls, president general, prime minister, very difficult time