Musharraf denies pressing Sharif to seek US help during Kargil warMay 15th, 2009 - 2:10 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, May 15 (ANI): Former Pakistan President General Pervez Musharraf has denied reports that he had asked the then prime minister Nawaz Sharif to seek US help during the Kargil war in 1999.
In an interview to a private television channel, Musharraf said he had never asked Sharif to talk to the then US President Bill Clinton to ’save the army’ during the Kargil war.
Commenting on the November 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, Musharraf gave the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) a clean chit, saying it has not played any role in the carnage.
Musharraf said that many Pakistanis believe that India’s Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) was behind the attack.
He also rejected the notion that Pakistan could fall into the hands of the Taliban and other terrorist groups.
“Majority of Pakistanis are moderate and the extremists could neither overthrow the government nor win polls,”The Daily Times quoted Musharraf, as saying.
Defending his decision to sack Nawaz Sharif and Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, he said his decisions were not unconstitutional, and that the Supreme Court had also validated it.
“It is up to them if they want to take any unconstitutional step against me,” Musharraf added. (ANI)
- Musharraf responsible for Kargil conflict: Ex-ISI chief - Nov 01, 2010
- Gilani discusses Pakistan-US ties with politicians - Sep 25, 2011
- Musharraf offers olive branch to archrival Nawaz Sharif - Apr 17, 2011
- Musharraf knew about Osama hideout: Ex-ISI chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Musharraf vows to return to Pak before mid-term elections - Dec 21, 2010
- Gilani calls back Khar from US (Lead) - Sep 25, 2011
- Musharraf says Sharif will not seek his trial - Sep 14, 2009
- Gilani says govt has 'good relations' with 'perceived nemesis' Army and judiciary - Sep 29, 2010
- Musharraf warrant valid till compliance: Pakistan to Interpol - May 21, 2012
- Musharraf for rapprochement between ISI, RAW - Oct 27, 2011
- Gilani demands concret evidence to nail ISI - Apr 26, 2011
- Shahbaz Sharif tipped off LeT after 26/11: WikiLeaks cable - Dec 02, 2010
- Musharraf had coup plans since becoming COAS in '98: Ex Pak Army Chief - Oct 12, 2010
- Ex-PM Nawaz's party lists charges against Musharraf - Oct 12, 2010
- Pakistan should get over its obsession with India: Daily - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: bill clinton, carnage, chief justice iftikhar, clean chit, extremists, general pervez musharraf, inter services, isi, kargil war, minister nawaz sharif, mumbai, pakistanis, pervez musharraf, president bill clinton, president general pervez musharraf, prime minister nawaz sharif, private television, television channel, terror attacks, terrorist groups