Mumbai attacks: Pak interior ministry says India yet to provide evidence of its citizens roleDecember 11th, 2008 - 6:45 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad/New Delhi, Dec.11 (ANI): Pakistan’’s Interior Ministry on Thursday said that it has yet to receive any evidence from India implicating its nationals in the Mumbai attacks.
With New Delhi once again pointing a finger at Pakistan, the ministry said Pakistan would continue to arrest suspected militants in an operation launched in the wake of the Mumbai attacks, but denied acting under pressure from New Delhi.
“India has not provided any evidence so far. We have told India that we will extend full cooperation to bring the culprits to justice,” the Dawn quoted Rehman Malik, the Prime Ministers Adviser on Interior Affairs, as saying at a press conference here.
“A criminal is a criminal, whether he is Pakistani or Indian or from anywhere else in the world. We want to arrest criminals. But it is wrong to say we are doing this on the say-so of anyone else,” Malik said.
Malik’’s comments apparently came in response to India’’s Home Minister P. Chidamabaram saying in Parliament today that India had enough proof that the perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attack were from Pakistan. Investigations are still going on, and going by the results of it, all fingers point towards our neighbour, Chidambaram told the Lok Sabha, the lower house of the Indian Parliament.
The crime branch of Maharashtra police is investigating the case, but it would not be appropriate to disclose the details as it can hamper proceedings,he added.
Referring to media reports about the lone surviving terrorist, Ajmal Amir Kasab, Chidambaram said: The media should maintain patience in reporting about the incident.
Emphasizing that the UPA Government had reacted on time to the incident, Chidambaram said that the Government is concerned enough on the issue and is planning to take some harsh steps to tackle the problem.
Government will introduce a set of bills to strengthen security measures, Chidambaram said, and urged the Lok Sabha to pass the bills to strengthen preventive, investigative and prosecution measures.
There is a tendency to treat inputs from intelligence agencies as unattainable, which has to be corrected, Chidambaram said.
A strong legal framework is in the making. Steps are being taken by the Government to fill-in the vacant posts in different intelligence agencies of the country, he said.
He said National Security Guard (NSG) centers across the nation would be established to tackle any insurgency on time. Besides that, twenty schools would also come up for imparting training in anti-terrorism tactics. These schools will give training to the security forces of different states.
There is a mega plan for the protection of the coast-line of the country, Chidambaram said.
Chidambaram noted that South-Asia, and especially India, is in the eye of terror for long now, and in this context he said India is determined to fight this menace until it vanishes completely.
India has made its stand clear to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), stating that India will fight terror, no matter how long it takes to curb it. We must do our duty to protect our people, Chidambaram said.
Applauding the work done of security forces, he said,They showed extraordinary courage and grit which we ordinary people cannot match.
We will fight this menace to its end and nothing should divide us, be it religion or language, Chidambaram concluded. (ANI)
Tags: adviser, ajmal, chidambaram, crime branch, culprits, full cooperation, home minister, indian parliament, interior affairs, interior ministry, Lok Sabha, mumbai terror attack, nationals, new delhi india, parliament, patience, perpetrators, prime ministers, problem government, security measures, terror attack