Mumbai attack suspects to be produced in courtFebruary 14th, 2009 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 14 (IANS) Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) is likely to produce the six men arrested for their alleged links to the Mumbai terror attacks in an anti-terrorism court to seek their custody, a media report Saturday said.
Dawn said FIA officials Friday tried to obtain physical remand of the suspects “without producing them in the court, but their efforts proved unproductive. The arrested men were to be produced in the ATC but the FIA was unable to bring them to the court due to unknown reasons”.
The relatives of one of the suspects, Hamad Sadiq, were kept waiting outside the courtroom along with their lawyer Friday.
Admitting that part of the Mumbai conspiracy was planned in Pakistan, Interior Minister Rehman Malik Thursday said a first information report (FIR) had been registered with FIA’s Special Investigation Unit. The minister also admitted that the lone terrorist caught in Mumbai, Ajmal
Amir Kasab, was a Pakistani.
Eight suspects had been identified in the FIR, six of whom have been arrested. Two are still at large.
The FIA has requested the federal government to provide two bullet-proof vehicles for transporting the accused to court.
“The government has also directed the authorities to ensure high-level security when the suspects are brought for prosecution,” Dawn said.
Tags: ajmal, amir, atc, bullet proof vehicles, courtroom, federal investigation, fia, fir, information report, interior minister, investigation agency, islamabad, kasab, level security, physical remand, rehman malik, sadiq, six men, special investigation unit, terror attacks