Moderate earthquake rattles southwest Pakistan, destroys homesAugust 10th, 2011 - 8:49 pm ICT by BNO News
ISLAMABAD (BNO NEWS) — A moderate earthquake struck southwest Pakistan on early Wednesday morning, seismologists said, reportedly destroying a number of homes in the region.
The 5.7-magnitude earthquake at 5.53 a.m. local time (0053 GMT) was centered about 147 kilometers (91 miles) south-southeast of Dalbandin, a town in Balochistan province. It struck about 54 kilometers (33 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the Pakistan Meteorological Department.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) estimated that some 64,000 people may have felt moderate shaking, which can cause damage to buildings which are extremely vulnerable to earthquakes. Local Ary News Television reported a number of mud houses had collapsed as a result of the earthquake, but there were no immediate reports of casualties.
Earlier this year, on January 19, a powerful 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck 50 kilometers (30 miles) west-southwest of Dalbandin, causing some damage but no casualties. That earthquake struck at a depth of about 68 kilometers (42 miles).
On October 8, 2005, more than 79,000 people were killed and more than 100,000 others were injured when a powerful 7.6-magnitude earthquake rocked Pakistan-administered Kashmir. It was one of the deadliest earthquakes in the modern history of Pakistan.
- Powerful 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Pakistan - Jan 19, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Cuba's coast, no damage - Sep 15, 2011
- Moderate earthquake jolts Japan's Honshu island - Sep 29, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Moderate earthquake rattles southeastern the Philippines, no damage - Dec 08, 2010
- Strong quake hits deep underneath the South Pacific Ocean - Dec 28, 2010
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
- Strong quake hits off Southern Sumatra - Jan 18, 2011
- Stong earthquake hits off the coast of Kamchatka, Russia - Jul 30, 2010
- Strong quake hits off southern Taiwan, no threat - Feb 15, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga, no damage reported - Dec 26, 2011
- At least 12 injured after 5.0-magnitude earthquake in southwest China - Aug 29, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes southwest of Sumatra, no damage - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: casualties, deadliest earthquakes, history of pakistan, january 19, kashmir, kilometers, magnitude earthquake, moderate earthquake, modern history, mud houses, news television, october 8, pakistan meteorological department, seismologists, shallow earthquake, south southeast, united states geological, united states geological survey, wednesday morning, west southwest