Mittal offers to develop $500 mn township in BangladeshApril 4th, 2008 - 3:05 pm ICT by admin
Dhaka, April 4 (IANS) Britain based steel tycoon L.N. Mittal is exploring a $500 million investment in Chittagong, Bangladesh’s principal port city, to develop a coastal township along the Bay of Bengal, which could house residential and industrial blocks besides having its own airstrip and shallow port. Confirming Mittal’s offer, Chittagong Development Authority (CDA) chairman Shah Muhammad Akhteruddin said: “The authority is prepared to extend its support to Mittal’s plans.”
A senior representative of Mittal Steel, Rakesh Biship, has already visited the potential site in March.
“A delegation is scheduled this month again to study the site in greater detail,” another CDA official said.
Guidelines for developing such townships are provided in the Chittagong Metropolitan Master Plan (CMMP). The investment in such projects would not be less than $500 million, CDA officials said.
A composite township can be developed conforming to the coastal belt development guidelines of the CMPP along the coast stretching from Patenga to Kumira in Sitakunda district.
A huge strip of naturally reclaimed land already exists along the coast to the west of the port city. A 12 km long and one kilometre wide township overlooking the sea could be developed there reclaiming more land with the help of artificial blocks, said CDA officials.
The coastal township could accommodate waterfront residential blocks, environment-friendly industries, industrial blocks, an airstrip, a shallow port besides hotel and cruising facilities.
The authority would invite global investments in townships that create employment opportunities, said Akhteruddin.
The Mittal group has been scouting for investment opportunities in Bangladesh for more than a year now, The Daily Star newspaper said Friday.
- Mittal negotiating a township in Bangladesh - Apr 13, 2008
- Bangladesh detains Indian ship - Dec 26, 2010
- Bangladesh PM gets death threat from militants - Jan 06, 2011
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- New coastal shipping policy, Ports Act amendment in final stages - Jul 08, 2011
- Cabinet nod for petrochemical region in Tamil Nadu - Jul 04, 2012
- ArcelorMittal Liberia announces first iron ore shipment - Mar 20, 2012
- Bangalore to get India's first IT investment region - Jun 04, 2012
- Bangladesh developer encroaching upon cremation ground? - Apr 16, 2011
- CONCOR to extend network in eastern, northeastern regions - Aug 01, 2012
- India-Korea trade target of 30 billion dollars to be achieved by 2014: Anand Sharma - Jan 20, 2011
- China's Wuhan city wants to invest in Kolkata - Oct 27, 2010
- India, Bangladesh look to doubling bilateral trade - Nov 11, 2010
- Chinese toxic ship arrives in Bangladesh - Sep 20, 2011
- Ascendas, Japanese firms to build industrial township near Chennai - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,