Missing Pakistani prisoner has escaped: Punjab jail officialsSeptember 27th, 2010 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar (Punjab), Sep 27 (IANS) After failing to locate a Pakistani prisoner, who had mysteriously disappeared from the high-security central jail here last month, Punjab Police have finally concluded that he has escaped from prison. Three jail wardens have been suspended.
According to the police, the prisoner, identified as Nayamat Ali, had gone missing from the jail Aug 29. Earlier, the police were probing possibilities of suicide or an accidental death.
Police had claimed that it was impossible for Ali to scale the 24 feet high boundary wall of the jail. They had then suspected that he might have died after getting trapped in some sewer pipe or gutter.
“We had constituted a committee, consisting of the sub-divisional magistrate and a senior police official to look into the matter. They have submitted the report that says Ali had escaped from jail,” Amritsar District Magistrate K.S. Pannu told IANS Monday.
“FIRs have been registered against the negligent police officials. Our duty is to inform the Punjab government about this and we have sent the report to the officials concerned. Now it is their duty to contact the Pakistani High Commission,” Pannu said.
Ali, 40, was arrested by Border Security Force (BSF) sleuths a year ago for illegally entering India in the Lopoke area near this city. Police said that he was not mentally stable.
Jail officials said Ali had completed his jail term Aug 27 and was waiting for his release and repatriation home. But jail authorities were taken by surprise when they found that Ali had gone missing.
Three jail wardens, who were on duty, have been suspended for negligence.
- Missing Pakistani has escaped: officials (Lead) - Sep 27, 2010
- Punjab police clueless about Pakistani prisoner's disappearance - Sep 01, 2010
- Punjab cops clueless about missing Pakistani prisoner - Sep 03, 2010
- Pakistani prisoner disappears from Punjab jail - Aug 31, 2010
- Two of 14 escaped prisoners nabbed - Dec 09, 2011
- Sentenced as Pakistani, jailed man finally finds Indian identity - Sep 27, 2010
- Jail warden held for providing mobiles to inmates - May 06, 2012
- Police probing escape of Bangladeshi undertrials - Aug 29, 2012
- Suspended jail warden commits suicide - Sep 07, 2010
- Fewer fireworks at Golden Temple this Diwali - Oct 26, 2011
- Prisoner escapes from Jammu high security jail - Aug 22, 2012
- Four Pakistani prisoners cut jail van floor, escape - Aug 12, 2011
- Probe ordered against Punjab jail official - May 07, 2012
- India repatriates 91 Pakistanis - Jul 26, 2011
- Five suspended for medical officer's death in jail (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: accidental death, amritsar district, border security force, boundary wall, bsf, central jail, city police, district magistrate, firs, gutter, high security, jail authorities, jail officials, jail wardens, pannu, police official, police officials, punjab government, repatriation, sewer pipe