Missing Pakistani has escaped: officials (Lead)September 27th, 2010 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Sep 27 (IANS) A Pakistani prisoner who went missing from the central prison here last month has indeed escaped, police have said. Three jail wardens have been suspended for negligence.
According to police, Nayamat Ali mysteriously disappeared Aug 29, leading investigators to initially think he may have committed suicide or had an accidental death.
Police had claimed it was impossible for Ali to scale the 24 feet high boundary wall. They had suspected he might have died after getting trapped in a sewer pipe or gutter.
A committee tasked to probe the matter has now said that the Pakistani has indeed escaped from the prison, Amritsar District Magistrate K.S. Pannu told IANS Monday.
“FIRs have been registered against the negligent jail officials,” Pannu said.
Ali, 40, was arrested by the Border Security Force (BSF) a year ago for illegally entering India in Lopoke area near this city. Police said he was not mentally stable.
Officials said Ali had completed his jail term Aug 27 and was waiting for his repatriation. Three jail wardens have been suspended over the escape.
- Missing Pakistani prisoner has escaped: Punjab jail officials - Sep 27, 2010
- Punjab cops clueless about missing Pakistani prisoner - Sep 03, 2010
- Punjab police clueless about Pakistani prisoner's disappearance - Sep 01, 2010
- Pakistani prisoner disappears from Punjab jail - Aug 31, 2010
- Sentenced as Pakistani, jailed man finally finds Indian identity - Sep 27, 2010
- Two of 14 escaped prisoners nabbed - Dec 09, 2011
- Jail warden held for providing mobiles to inmates - May 06, 2012
- Suspended jail warden commits suicide - Sep 07, 2010
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- 64 Pakistani prisoners repatriated - Nov 10, 2010
- 14 undertrials escape from Rajasthan jail - Dec 09, 2011
- Don't deprive Pakistani prisoners of rights, dignity: Apex court - Feb 28, 2012
- India repatriates 91 Pakistanis - Jul 26, 2011
- Pak releases 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 15, 2011
- Pakistani daily seeks mechanism on prisoners' repatriation - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: accidental death, ali, border security force, boundary wall, central prison, city police, district magistrate, firs, gutter, India, investigators, jail officials, jail wardens, negligence, pannu, repatriation, sewer pipe, suicide