Militants gun down 18 bus passengers in Pakistan (Second Lead)February 28th, 2012 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 28 (IANS) At least 18 people were killed Tuesday in a suspected sectarian attack in Pakistan when gunmen dressed in army uniform stopped a bus, ordered the passengers to get down and then opened fire at them.
The pre-dawn attack took place in Kohistan district in the northwest Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, reported Geo News. Eight other passengers were injured in the attack.
The gunmen were hiding along the roadside and sprang out when the bus came.
Citing state-run Urdu TV channel PTV, Xinhua reported that there were at least eight militants.
Witness said the militants forced all the passengers on board to get out at gunpoint and started shooting at them indiscriminately.
The bus was carrying 25 passengers from Gilgit to Rawalpindi. It was stopped on the Karakoram highway in Harban area of Kohistan, a mountainous area around 160 km north of the capital Islamabad.
The motive was unclear as Islamist militants are not active in the area, police said.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
“Armed men hiding on both sides of the road attacked the bus. Initial reports said 18 people have died and seven were wounded,” police official Mohammad Ilyas said.
Some media reports said the bus had 39 people on board.
All the injured were taken to hospitals in Kohistan and Gilgit. Hospital sources said the condition of seven people was critical.
Local people said it could be a sectarian attack as many residents in Gilgit and surrounding areas were minority Shia Muslims. They are in constant clashes with the Sunni Muslims.
Earlier this month, a Sunni Muslim leader was killed in Gilgit. Witnesses said Tuesday’s attack in Kohistan could be in retaliation by Sunni Muslims.
- Militants gun down 18 bus passengers in Pakistan (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- 18 killed in Pakistani bus ambush (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- 14 dead in Pakistan violence (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- UN chief condemns Pakistan killings - Feb 29, 2012
- Pakistani Army offers to probe bus passengers' killing - Mar 01, 2012
- 10 bus passengers shot dead in Pakistan - Apr 03, 2012
- 25 killed in Pakistan bus attack (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- 29 Shia pilgrims killed in Pakistan - Sep 21, 2011
- Dialogue important for peace in Baltistan: Malik - Mar 10, 2012
- Gunmen attack bus carrying Shiite Muslims in southwestern Pakistan, killing 13 - Oct 05, 2011
- Eight people killed in suspected sectarian violence in northwest Pakistan - Mar 25, 2011
- 18 Shia pilgrims gunned down in Pakistan - Jul 07, 2012
- 14 killed, nearly 40 wounded in Pakistan blast (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Seven dead in Pakistan bus attack (Lead) - May 25, 2012
Tags: army uniform, bus passengers, capital islamabad, dawn attack, geo news, gilgit, gun down, hospital sources, initial reports, islamist militants, karakoram highway, khyber, mohammad ilyas, mountainous area, muslim leader, police official, pre dawn, sectarian attack, sunni muslim, sunni muslims