Militants attack Pakistan air baseAugust 16th, 2012 - 9:03 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 16 (IANS) Militants wearing military uniforms attacked a key Pakistan Air Force base early Thursday, destroying at least one aircraft, a media report said.
The attack took place around 2.00 a.m. at Kamra air base in Attock district, some 70 km from Islamabad, Xinhua quoted the local ARY TV channel as saying.
The militants opened fire and hurled grenades at a check post of the air base.
Several security personnel were killed or injured, and about six militants also died, the report said.
Army spokesman Col. Atiq said soldiers were dispatched to the site to reinforce security.
Witnesses said plumes of smoke and fire were seen rising from the base.
All roads leading to the area were closed.
About 30 fighter jets are usually parked at the base. There is also an assembly line, that produces the country’s most advanced JF-17 Thunder jet fighters.
- Nine die in terror attack at Pakistan's key airbase (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Nine militants killed in Pakistan air base attack (Third Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Eight die in terror attack on Pakistani airbase (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Pakistani panel to probe airbase attack - Aug 17, 2012
- Four Kamra airbase attackers identified: Malik - Aug 18, 2012
- Purge extremists within Pakistani military: Daily - Sep 21, 2012
- Pak launches avionics production line for JF-17 Thunder combat aircraft - May 29, 2010
- Pak to send JF-17 combat jets for Farnborough Air Show in Britain - Jul 17, 2010
- Pakistan to get 50 fighter jets from China - May 19, 2011
- Pakistanis knows how to defend their country: Ashraf - Aug 22, 2012
- Pakistan army faces militancy problem: Daily - Aug 17, 2012
- Mobile services restored in Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Nine dead in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Pilot dies as Pakistani Air Force trainer crashes (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Seven dead, 21 hurt in Pakistan bombings (Second Lead) - Oct 23, 2009