Militant killed in TripuraJuly 22nd, 2012 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, July 22 (IANS) A dreaded militant of outlawed National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) was killed Sunday by the security forces in Tripura and some arms and ammunition were also recovered from the spot, along the India-Bangladesh border.
“During an anti-insugency operation at mountainous Raishabari area in northern Tripura, the TSR (Tripura State Rifles) troopers fired on the NLFT rebels, who also at once retaliated leading to a fierce encounter. In the gun battle the militant was killed,” Inspector General of Tripura Police, Nepal Das told reporters.
He said: “Just before the encounter five-six militants have entered the Indian territory from Bangladesh.”
Later TSR troopers found a bullet ridden body lying on a pool of blood on the spot.
“An AK-47 rifle, 50 round of live cartridges, two Chinese grenades as many magazines, Bangladeshi currency notes and indiscriminating documents were also recovered from the spot,” said Das.
Additional reinforcement led by Dhalai district police chief L. Darlong along with the Border Security Force (BSF) have rushed to the spot and launched a massive manhunt in the area to nab the fleeing militants.
So far, around 85 militants of the banned NLFT and All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF) have surrendered with arms this year.
Demanding a sovereign status for Tripura, the ATTF and NLFT have set up their bases in Bangladesh and are supported by other separatist outfits in the northeast.
- Militants kidnap three CPI-M activists in Tripura - Sep 16, 2010
- Official killed in militant ambush in Tripura - Jan 31, 2011
- Armed guerrillas abduct four workers in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- Manhunt continues for killer Tripura trooper - Apr 28, 2012
- Three Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Jul 04, 2012
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- Ten Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Nov 03, 2011
- Two BSF troopers killed by terrorists in Tripura - Aug 06, 2010
- Economic development tamed terrorism: Tripura Police chief - Jun 15, 2011
- Tripura farmers released by banned outfit - May 30, 2012
- Abducted Tripura tribals taken to Bangladesh - Dec 10, 2010
- NLFT guerrillas abduct five Tripura farmers - Sep 01, 2010
- Huge arms recovered from village near Bangladesh border - Aug 19, 2009
Tags: agartala, ak 47 rifle, attf, border security force, bsf, currency notes, district police, grenades, gun battle, indian territory, massive manhunt, militants, national liberation front, police chief, pool of blood, ridden body, security forces, sovereign status, tiger force, tsr