Mehsud running “Toyota-type” assembly line of child suicide bombers: ReportJuly 3rd, 2009 - 12:57 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 3 (ANI): The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) chief Baitullah Mehsud is virtually running an ‘assembly line’ of suicide bombers to wreak havoc in the troubled nation.
A report in The Washington Times quoted US officials as saying, that Mehsud is recruiting small children as young as six or seven, to serve as suicide bombers.
“Mehsud has turned suicide bombing into a production output, not unlike the way Toyota outputs cars,” a US defence official said.
The price of a suicide bomber could range anything in between 500,000 rupees to one million rupees. The price depends on how quickly the bomber is needed, and how close he is expected to get to the target, the official added.
“Mehsud produces these suicide bombers, which are sold or bartered, which can be used by other groups,” he said.
US President Barack Obama’s key advisor, Bruce Riedel, has also expressed concerns over the TTP’s methodology of luring, and some times, kidnapping children and transforming them into suicide bombs.
“Using child suicide bombers is the grim reality of the Taliban Frankenstein that now threatens to overwhelm the Pakistani state,” said Riedel.
Some extremists also denounce this activity, terming it against Islam.
“Fighting is not the issue. What is unusual is making these young fighters into suicide bombers. It is a crime against God,” The Daily Times quoted a former Afghan terrorist, as saying. (ANI)
- Two TTP terrorists, would-be teen suicide bomber, arrested in Karachi - Oct 26, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban buying children for suicide attacks - Jul 02, 2009
- Hakeemullah's death, a battle won but no precursor to winning war: Riedel - Feb 03, 2010
- Hakeemullah's successor would be more ruthless, revengeful: Pak intelligence official - Feb 11, 2010
- Baitullah Mehsud's right hand man nabbed by Pak security forces - Dec 31, 2009
- Pakistan confirms Hakimullah Mehsud's death - Feb 10, 2010
- TTP claims Qari Hussain Mehsud alive, brands news report of his death 'drama' - Oct 17, 2010
- Hakimullah Mehsud dead, say Taliban sources - Feb 09, 2010
- Pak Taliban recruiting teenagers as suicide bombers - Oct 17, 2010
- Drone strike didn't kill top leader: Pakistani Taliban - Jan 16, 2012
- Pak to charge three men over failed Times Square bombing - Sep 09, 2010
- Pakistan offers $5 mn for information on Taliban leaders - Nov 02, 2009
- Pak Punjab police claims resolving Benazir assassination plot - Apr 15, 2010
- Hakeemullah may have escaped US drone strike : Pak official - Feb 04, 2010
- 'Nervy' Pak in denial mode over 'threatening' US 'dossier' on timeline against terror - May 27, 2010
Tags: assembly line, baitullah mehsud, barack obama, bombs, bruce riedel, child suicide bombers, extremists, frankenstein, grim reality, havoc, kidnapping children, methodology, one million, rupees, suicide bomber, taliban, target, troubled nation, ttp, washington times