Massive British college scam allowed thousands of ’suspicious’ Pak students to enrollMay 21st, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 21 (ANI): After the arrest of 11 Pakistan students for allegedly plotting terror attacks in Britain, it was revealed that those students had entered Britain on false student visas, but it seems that it was only a part of a larger conspiracy, as it has now been revealed that thousands of young Pakistan civilians had exploited a hole in Britain’s immigration defences to enroll themselves as students at a network of fraud colleges.
The Times has unearthed a major scam in which fraudsters have earned millions of dollars by luring students from Pakistan to get admission in sham colleges in Britain.
It has now been exposed that eight of the terror suspects arrested last month in Manchester and Liverpool were registered in a college that had three small classrooms and three teachers for the 1,797 students.
Another college claimed to have 150 students but enrolled 1,178 students, and offered places to a further 1,575 applicants from foreign countries, out of which 906 were from Pakistan.
The investigation further disclosed that :
-those running the scam charged at least 1,000 pounds for admission places and fake diplomas. They created their own university to issue bogus degrees.
-they also charged 2,500 pounds for false attendance records, diplomas and degrees that were used to extend the students’ stay in Britain.-One wealthy associate, Mir Ahmad was wanted in two murders in Pakistan and was arrested after the disclosure.
Meanwhile, British Immigration Minister Phil Woolas said that the report has been passed onto the concerned authorities which are investigating the issue.
“The information provided by The Times has been passed on to the UK Border Agency, which is investigating,” Woolas said. (ANI)
- 'Sham college network' allows Pakistanis into Britain: report - May 22, 2009
- Bilawal Bhutto 'secretly' studying law in Britain - Jul 06, 2012
- Indian-origin man held for helping illegal migrants - Nov 14, 2011
- Four arrested in fake admission racket in Ramjas - Dec 15, 2011
- US changing visa rules to attract the highly-skilled - Feb 04, 2012
- Three choices for sham US varsity students; radio tags come off 2 Indians - Feb 10, 2011
- Apex court warns private medical colleges against lapses - Jun 30, 2011
- Virtual classroom offers US school degree in Indian homes - Aug 28, 2010
- Britains's partial relief to students sees mixed response - Feb 14, 2010
- IB diploma? Delhi University not interested - Jul 20, 2011
- Tight British visas driving Indian students to Australia - May 22, 2012
- Programme to train 150 million school drop-outs - Oct 08, 2011
- British credit card cheat gets four years in prison - Jun 23, 2010
- Common admission test for B-schools now - Dec 05, 2011
- Indian couple jailed in British immigration scam - May 17, 2012
Tags: admission, ahmad, attendance records, bogus degrees, british immigration, civilians, colleges in britain, conspiracy, fake diplomas, foreign countries, fraudsters, immigration minister, liverpool, minister phil, murders, pakistan students, phil woolas, sham, student visas, terror attacks