Massive amounts of drugs seized in AfghanistanSeptember 13th, 2012 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Sep 13 (IANS) Around 6,000 kg of various narcotics were seized and six drug manufacturing labs were destroyed in Afghanistan in a joint operation by Russian, US and Afghan law enforcement officers, RIA Novosti reported.
The operation conducted in Badakhshan province seized 180 kg of heroin, 1,500 kg of morphine, 1,200 kg of opium, 2,000 kg of opium poppy seeds and 700 kg of drug-making precursor chemicals, Russian narcotics agency FSKN said Thursday.
Flooded by heroin made in Afghanistan and smuggled through former Soviet republics, Russia has cooperated with NATO in fighting the drug business in Afghanistan for years.
Moscow remains highly concerned about the persisting threat of drug trafficking from Afghanistan, particularly after international troops leave in 2014.
According to Russia’s federal drug control watchdog, heroin production in Afghanistan has risen 40-fold in the past decade. Opium poppy plantations currently cover 130,000 hectares in the country.
According to the UN’s World Drug Report, Russia consumed an estimated 70 tonnes of heroin in 2010.
- Russia concerned over US plans to keep Afghan bases - Apr 20, 2012
- Afghan lawmakers ask Russia for help ahead of US exit - Dec 03, 2011
- Man jailed for trafficking heroin in Russia - Aug 28, 2012
- 6,000 hectares of poppy destroyed in Myanmar - Mar 07, 2011
- No one cures Punjab's drug problem (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 10, 2012
- Drugs worth $130 mn seized in Pakistan in three years - Apr 14, 2011
- 77,000 kg narcotics seized in Pakistan - Jan 08, 2012
- Punjab drug scene hits a new 'high' - Nov 22, 2010
- 400 kg hashish seized in Afghanistan - Nov 06, 2011
- Russia will continue to back NATO mission: Putin - Aug 02, 2012
- 10 tonnes of hashish seized in Karachi - Nov 16, 2011
- India among top drugs hotspots: UN report (Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- UN says rising opium prices threaten fight against drug production in Afghanistan - Jan 21, 2011
- Obama names India, Pakistan among drug majors - Sep 17, 2010
- Drug users may face jail under new Russian bill - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, drug business, drug trafficking, hectares, heroin production, international troops, law enforcement officers, manufacturing labs, massive amounts, morphine, moscow, narcotics, nato, novosti, opium poppy seeds, poppy plantations, precursor chemicals, soviet republics, tonnes, watchdog