Many surprises may lie in store in coming months for Pak politicsMarch 10th, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Mar 10 (ANI): Even though it seems that PPP co-chairperson Asif Ali Zardari and PML-N leader Nawaz Sharif have joined hands to form the next coalition government, but the behind-the-scene political developments might bring in many surprises for Pakistan politics in the near future.
There seem to be many ifs and buts that could drive the future of politics in the coming few months or a few years. Like, if Makhdoom Amin Fahim is not nominated for the post of Prime Minister by Asif Ali Zardari, there might be a vertical split in the PPP, and the ruling PML-Qs MNAs-elect might extend support to him.
According to The News, the announcements of the Murree Accord made at a press conference were not the end of the story, instead something more explosive has also been decided between the two new political friends and these decisions will be announced at a proper time.
As per the Accord, the PPP and PML-N have decided that after the restoration of judges through a parliamentary resolution, the new ruling coalition would “request” Musharraf to step down respectfully.
Initially Sharif wanted to arrest and try Musharraf in a court of law under treason charges, but Asif Ali Zardari convinced him not to humiliate the enemy and provide him a “safe passage”. Zardari agreed that if Musharraf does not agree to step down then the new ruling coalition may go for his impeachment, added the paper
It is learnt that at least one close friend of Musharraf advised him to step down from his office honourably and told him that he should not become a tool in the hands of the PML-Q leaders who have already lost everything. Some PML-Q leaders tried to contact Makhdoom Amin Fahim who was missing from the joint press conference of Nawaz Sharif and Asif Ali Zardari on Sunday.
According to the paper, the PML-Q leaders sent messages to Makhdoom Amin Fahim on Saturday and Sunday promising to support him in case the PPP nominates someone else for the post of prime minister. It is also learnt that Fahim never gave any encouraging response to the PML-Q and its “secret patrons”.
One PPP legislator from Sindh said that Makhdoom sahib cannot afford any revolt against Zardari as his biggest supporters, like Khurshid Shah and Raza Rabbani, were sitting with Zardari in Bhurban and he is not in a position to form any big group against Zardari within the party.
PPP sources claimed that Zardari might spring a surprise by announcing his nominee for PM by nominating a person other than Makhdoom Amin Fahim and Chaudhry Ahmad Mukhtar. Nawaz Sharif have assured Zardari that the PML-N will provide full support to any person nominated by the PPP and any effort to create differences in the PPP will be jointly defeated. (ANI)
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP candidate for PM's post (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- 'Sworn enemies' Musharraf, Sharif and Zardari are 'famous Facebook friends'! - Mar 19, 2011
- Meeting between Zardari, Nawaz expected soon: Raja Riaz - Nov 25, 2010
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Pakistan's ruling party, PML-Q try to corner Nawaz Sharif - Oct 27, 2010
- PML-N goes overboard in protest against PPP in Pak parliament - Apr 21, 2011
- PML-N lashes out at Zardari-led govt over ever-increasing corruption, inflation - Nov 19, 2010
- Nawaz terms PML-Q supporters of dictators, rules out alliance - Feb 22, 2011
- PML-Q to get Deputy PM post, several ministries on joining PPP-led Pak Govt: Report - Apr 30, 2011
- Pak Army supports political set-up within constitutional limits: ISPR - Dec 04, 2010
- Musharraf wanted technocrat-led Pak govt within months of 2008 elections: WikiLeaks - Dec 05, 2010
- PML-N decides to remove PPP ministers from Pak Punjab govt - Feb 23, 2011
- PML-N unlikely to demand Zardari's resignation over NRO - Dec 21, 2009
- Zardari convenes 'emergency meeting' of PPP Punjab ministers - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: amin, asif ali zardari, buts, chairperson, coalition government, elect, fahim, impeachment, mnas, nawaz sharif, parliamentary resolution, pml n, political developments, political friends, proper time, qs, safe passage, saturday and sunday, treason charges, vertical split