Manmohan, Zardari shake hands, begin talksApril 8th, 2012 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 8 (IANS) On a Sunday afternoon, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari shook hands warmly and smiled before the cameras as they began talks that are expected to infuse a new life into bilateral ties.
The talks, which are being held at the prime minister’s 7 Race Course Road official residence, are expected to last for close to an hour, government sources said.
The two leaders are expected to discuss all issues with focus on trade and confidence-building measures.
On his maiden visit to India, Zardari touched down here just past noon in his special aircraft on a private visit to offer prayers at the revered sufi shrine of Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti in Ajmer. The visit has acquired the shape of high-wire diplomacy, with the two leaders holding one-on-one talks before their large delegations met.
Zardari is accompanied by around 40-member delegation that includes his son Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, Interior Minister Rehman Malik, Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani, presidential spokesperson Farhatullah Babar and close members of the family.
- Bansal to be minister-in-waiting for Zardari - Apr 07, 2012
- Zardari in India, begins talks with Manmohan (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari leaves for India - Apr 08, 2012
- President Zardari returns home after Indian pilgrimage - Apr 08, 2012
- After talks with Zardari, Manmohan says 'very happy to visit Pakistan' (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari to invite Manmohan to Pakistan, all issues on table - Apr 07, 2012
- Enjoyed lunch with Rahul and PM: tweets Bilawal Bhutto (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari arrives in Ajmer, heads for dargah - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari came to India with open mind: Bansal - Apr 09, 2012
- Table for 20 at PM's luncheon for Zardari (With Image) - Apr 08, 2012
- Pakistan President Zardari arrives in India with large delegation - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari likely to come on 'personal' visit to India (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- PM tells Zardari to pray for peace, tweets Sushma - Apr 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: abbas, asif ali zardari, babar, bhutto, bilateral ties, confidence building, delegations, diplomacy, government sources, interior minister, maiden visit, manmohan, manmohan singh, member delegation, members of the family, moinuddin chisti, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private visit, rehman malik