Manmohan, Zardari face to face in RussiaJune 16th, 2009 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
Yekaterinburg, June 16 (IANS) Marking their first encounter since the 26/11 Mumbai carnage, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari Tuesday shook hands and posed for cameras ahead of their talks in this Russian industrial city.
Manmohan Singh and Zardari met at the summit of the six-nation Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) at the Ball Room of Hotel Hyatt Regency where they are participating as observers.
They will meet later Tuesday for a 30-minute meeting at the Silver Room of the hotel.
Terrorism will top the agenda at their first meeting since the Nov 26, 2008 terrorist attacks that led India to suspend the composite dialogue with Pakistan, officials said.
The SCO comprises Russia, China and Central Asian Republics, including Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyztan and Kazakhstan. This is the first SCO summit at which an Indian prime minister is participating since India, along with Pakistan, Iran and Mongolia, was included as an observer at the SCO four years ago.
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- Krishna, in 'holding room', with Zardari at Beijing - Jun 06, 2012
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- Pakistan seeks full membership of Shanghai group - Jun 13, 2011
- India pitches for SCO's membership, Afghan role - Jun 05, 2012
- India to pitch for larger role at SCO summit - May 27, 2012
- Krishna to go to Tashkent, India may join SCO - Jun 05, 2010
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- Krishna heading to SCO summit in Tashkent Thursday - Jun 09, 2010
- (HOLD) Krishna leaves for SCO summit in China - Jun 05, 2012
- It's official: Manmohan to meet Zardari in Russia - Jun 12, 2009
- India seeks China's support for SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- Manmohan calls for defeating terrorism, pushes reform of global bodies - Jun 16, 2009
- Russia backs India for SCO member - Nov 17, 2011
- India ups SCO sales pitch - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, carnage, central asian republics, composite dialogue, first encounter, first meeting, hotel hyatt regency, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, kyrgyztan, manmohan, manmohan singh, observers, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, shanghai cooperation organization, shanghai cooperation organization sco, silver room, six nation, yekaterinburg