Manmohan holds talks with Zardari, says terror top concern (Lead)June 16th, 2009 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
By Manish Chand
Yekaterinburg (Russia), June 16 (IANS) In their first meeting since the 26/11 Mumbai carnage, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday asked Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari to take “strong and credible action” against anti-India terrorist outfits in his country and create the “right atmosphere” for the resumption of the stalled bilateral dialogue.
Manmohan Singh and Zardari met in the Silver Room of Hotel Hyatt Regency in the Russian city of Yekaterinburg, the industrial town located nearly 1,400 km from Moscow, barely minutes after the SCO summit they attended as observers.
They met for half an hour and held wide-ranging discussions that focused on terrorism that continues to emanate from Pakistan’s soil despite assurances to the contrary.
Manmohan Singh conveyed India’s growing disappointment over Pakistan’s inaction against the architects and executors of the Mumbai mayhem, official sources said. The prime minister singled out the release of Hafiz Saeed, the suspect mastermind of the 26/11 attacks, to underscore Islamabad’s lack of seriousness in acting against anti-India terror outfits.
The prime minister indicated his willingness to engage with Pakistan to resolve all outstanding issues, but made it clear that unless Islamabad takes credible action, it will be difficult to resume the peace process.
Earlier in the day, the two leaders met the summit of the six-nation summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) where India and Pakistan, along with Iran and Mongolia, are invited as observers.
- PM to Zardari: Do not allow use of Pak territory for terror against India - Jun 16, 2009
- Manmohan to Zardari: Don't allow your territory for anti-India acts (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Amid improving ties, Zardari to meet Manmohan, visit Ajmer (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Manmohan, Zardari face to face in Russia - Jun 16, 2009
- Zardari likely to come on 'personal' visit to India (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- Krishna to go to Tashkent, India may join SCO - Jun 05, 2010
- India pitches for SCO's membership, Afghan role - Jun 05, 2012
- Take credible action against terror, Manmohan to tell Zardari (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Krishna heading to SCO summit in Tashkent Thursday - Jun 09, 2010
- Manmohan-Zardari meeting: India to press for action against Saeed - Apr 03, 2012
- Keen to visit Pakistan but in 'proper atmosphere': Manmohan Singh - Aug 31, 2012
- India calls for regional approach to Afghanistan at SCO - Jun 11, 2010
- Pakistan seeks full membership of Shanghai group - Jun 13, 2011
- Manmohan calls for defeating terrorism, pushes reform of global bodies - Jun 16, 2009
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: asif ali, bilateral dialogue, chand, hafiz, hotel hyatt regency, india and pakistan, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, manmohan, manmohan singh, nation summit, peace process, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, russian city, shanghai cooperation organization, shanghai cooperation organization sco, silver room, terrorist outfits, zardari