Manipuri militants ban daily for not publishing its news on front page.August 4th, 2008 - 6:38 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, Aug 4 (ANI): Popular and widely read Manipuri daily, Poknapham, failed to hit the stands today, because of an ”indefinite ban” imposed on the newspaper, by the militant outfit Kangleipak Communist Party-Military Council (KCP-MC).
The Kangleipak Communist Party-Military Council had imposed ”indefinite ban” on the paper for having published their statement in the inside pages of the newspaper instead of front page.
An emergency meeting was held between the All Manipur Working Journalists” Union (AMWJU) and senior editors of different dailies for discussing the ban imposed on Poknapham by the militant outfit.
The AMWJU has appealed to the KCP-MC to withdraw their ban and to allow the paper to bring out its issues.
Frequent threats to media persons and media houses by different militant groups in Manipur severely affects journalists from working freely in the state. (ANI)
- Manipur scribes protest threat issued by militant group - Jun 27, 2010
- No newspapers in Manipur after militants' threat - Jun 27, 2010
- PLA militant arrested in Imphal - Dec 29, 2010
- Imphal's journalists demonstrate for free speech after militant death threats - Oct 29, 2010
- Eight rebels surrender in Manipur - Apr 03, 2011
- Journalists in Manipur protest against threats by KCP faction - Jul 09, 2010
- Unending violence instills fear among Manipuris - Feb 21, 2011
- Arms seized in Manipur District - Feb 01, 2011
- Militants in Manipur want journalists and doctors to follow their diktats - Sep 21, 2010
- Manipur businessmen protest militants extortion demands - Jan 31, 2010
- Six militants surrender in Manipur - Jun 10, 2010
- Manipur militant nabbed in Guwahati - May 25, 2012
- Banned Manipuri militant outfit's leader, aide held - Jul 05, 2011
- Telecom services hampered due to repeated extortion demands - Feb 08, 2010
- Dry fish traders in Manipur protest militants' demands - May 26, 2009