Mandela turns 90, calls for action against povertyJuly 19th, 2008 - 10:22 am ICT by ANI
Johannesburg, July 19 (ANI): Former South African President Nelson Mandela used the occasion of his 90th birthday on Friday to call for renewed action against poverty.
“Poverty has gripped our people. If you are poor, you are not likely to live long,” Mandela said in a message from his home village of Qunu, where he is celebrating his birthday weekend with family and friends.
Surrounded by some of his grandchildren, a smiling Mandela, wearing one of his trademark African patterned shirts, posed for photographs in the lounge of the sprawling bungalow he built on his release from prison among the rolling hills of his homeland.
“There are many people in South Africa who are rich, and who can share those riches with those not so fortunate, who have not been able to conquer poverty,” said Mandela, who came to power in 1994 promising a “better life for all”.
When Mandela was asked whether he wished he had spent more time with his family, a foreign news agency quoted him as saying: “I am sure for many people that is their wish. I also have that wish that I spent more time (with family). But I don”t regret it.”
Qunuwas abuzz on Friday with preparations for the main birthday bash on Saturday for about 500 friends and family.
Friday also marked the 10th anniversary of Mandela’’s marriage to Grecka Machel, a social activist and widow of former Mozambican president Samora Machel.
President Thabo Mbeki said South Africans basked in the reflected glory of Mandela “and other giants” of the anti-apartheid struggle but should also consider the mission facing theirs and future generations.
European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso described Mandela as a source of inspiration for generations of Africans and world citizens.
“His life illustrates the power of the will, of courage, the power of freedom and also the force of reconciliation,” Barroso said.
Prisoners at the Drakenstein Correctional Centre, formerly known as the Victor Verster Prison, from which he emerged a free man on February 11, 1990, organized a party and sang songs in his honour. (ANI)
- 12 mn school kids wish Mandela with birthday song - Jul 18, 2012
- Mandela looks healthy on TV - May 31, 2012
- Mandela calls for action on poverty on 90th birthday (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2008
- Family force 'frail' Mandela to call off return to prison on 20th anniversary of release - Feb 11, 2010
- Mandela in good health: Zuma - Jul 12, 2012
- Millions of South African students greet Mandela on birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Former South African President Mandela goes home to rest - May 23, 2011
- Mandela in good health: Official - Jan 28, 2012
- Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - Jan 27, 2011
- Mandela speaks out for the poor on 90th birthday - Jul 18, 2008
- South Africa celebrates Nelson Mandela's 93rd birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- South Africa celebrates 20 years of Mandela's walk to freedom - Feb 11, 2010
- South African speaker toasts Mandela-Gandhi spirit - Jul 10, 2012
- South Africa to celebrate Mandela's 94th birthday in style - Jun 08, 2012
- Mandela prison declared heritage site - Feb 11, 2010
Tags: 10th anniversary, 90th birthday, birthday weekend, european commission president, european commission president jose manuel barroso, future generations, jose manuel barroso, nelson mandela, patterned shirts, poverty poverty, president nelson mandela, president thabo mbeki, qunu, samora machel, social activist, south africans, sprawling bungalow, thabo mbeki, victor verster, world citizens