Man convicted for attacking teen with a hedgehogMay 31st, 2008 - 4:10 pm ICT by admin
London, May 31 (ANI): A man who attacked a teenage boy with a hedgehog has been convicted and fined for the offence.
William Singalargh, 27, has been asked to give a penalty of 700 NZ dollars and has also been ordered to pay 500 NZ dollars out of it to his victim by a court in Whakatane, in New Zealand.
The 15-year-old boy was returning home with two friends in February when four men on the road confronted him near his house.
One of the men, Singalargh, was holding a hedgehog and asked the boy: “Do you want to wear a hedgehog helmet?”
When the boy indicated that he would rather not, Singalargh threw the animal, leaving a large red welt and four quills lodged in the teenagers hip.
When the boy’s mother intervened, Singalargh pulled down his trousers and exposed his buttocks.
He had pleaded not guilty to the charges, claiming he was not the hedgehog hurler.
However, judge Ian Thomas preferred the evidence of other witnesses who identified him by the bright orange trousers he was wearing at the time.
A more serious charge of assault with a weapon, the hedgehog, was dropped because if he had been convicted of that charge, he would have to face five-year sentence.
“He admitted to having been in possession of a hedgehog,” the Telegraph quoted police Constable Lyndon Reid, as saying.
“He originally claimed that the group had been playing hacky sack with it,” he added, referring to a game in which the aim is to keep up a small ball or beanbag in the air.
However, it was not known whether the hedgehog was dead or alive at the time of the attack, but Senior Sgt Bruce Jenkins said earlier in the case that it was dead when collected as evidence. (ANI)
- Man pushes lit firework up boy's hips, jailed - Aug 29, 2012
- Teenagers shot after refusing to pull up pants - Oct 05, 2010
- Peter Jackson's credit card fraudster jailed - Feb 10, 2011
- Aussie barmaid slapped with $300 fine for exposing too much - Jun 15, 2010
- Australian fined for showing buttocks to Elizabeth - Feb 14, 2012
- US toy seller caught fraudulently using Sir Peter Jackson's credit card - Jan 28, 2011
- Oz woman jailed for 'cutting swastika into man's buttocks' - Aug 13, 2010
- Briton gouges out girlfriend's eyes - Apr 13, 2012
- New Zealander charged with stealing millions - Jan 05, 2012
- Florida transvestite charged with manslaughter after injecting woman's buttocks with cement - Jul 28, 2012
- Brit school bans Miss Sexy trousers for being 'unhelpful to learning' - Nov 04, 2010
- Bieber's pink underwear exposed - Nov 24, 2011
- Germany mulls banning wild Facebook parties - Jul 05, 2011
- Silencing 'hedgehog' molecule halts cancer - Jun 06, 2011
- Indicted Indian-American student's act a 'stupid teenage prank' - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: beanbag, bruce jenkins, buttocks, four men, hedgehog, helmet, hurler, nz dollars, offence, police constable, possession, quills, returning home, sgt, teenage boy, teenagers, telegraph, trousers, two friends, whakatane