Maldivian president Waheed meets ManmohanMay 12th, 2012 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 12 (IANS) Mohamed Waheed, the new president of the Maldives, Saturday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here in his first-ever visit to India.
The two leaders are said to have discussed the situation in the Maldives including possible early elections to end unrest that followed the controversial ouster of his predecessor Mohamed Nasheed in February.
Waheed is in India just three weeks after his political rival and predecessor Nasheed came to New Delhi to drum up support for his call for early presidential polls in the Maldives.
Waheed is on a five-day visit of India at the invitation of Manmohan Singh. He is accompanied by his wife Ilham Hussain and a large delegation. They will be in India till May 15.
Nasheed resigned Feb 7 this year in the wake of a mutiny by a section of the Maldivian police force, resulting in Waheed, the vice president, being given the reins of the country.
Earlier Saturday, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna called on Waheed at the Taj Palace Hotel and the two were closeted for about an hour, according to external affairs ministry officials.
Waheed will call on President Pratibha Patil Saturday evening.
- Waheed meets Manmohan, commits to early polls in Maldives (Second Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Waheed, Manmohan discuss Maldivian polls, economic ties - May 12, 2012
- Maldivian President Waheed to make first ever visit to India - May 10, 2012
- Maldivian president arrives in India - May 11, 2012
- Nasheed scaring India on Islamic fundamentalism: Waheed - May 14, 2012
- India not pushing Maldives to do anything unconstitutional: Waheed - May 14, 2012
- No Indian push on unconstitutional polls: Maldivian president (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Nasheed meets Manmohan to discuss Maldives future - Apr 23, 2012
- Amid flux, India to get Maldives situation update (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Mathai in Maldives for talks amid deepening crisis (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- India urges Maldives to resolve issues peacefully (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Mathai heads to Maldives to push for political deal (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Maldives to probe allegation of coup to oust Nasheed (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- US official reaches Maldives - Feb 11, 2012
- India pushes for early elections, Maldives parties agree - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: external affairs minister, external affairs ministry, hussain, krishna, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministry officials, mutiny, nasheed, new president, ouster, police force, political rival, president pratibha patil, presidential polls, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, saturday evening, taj palace hotel, waheed