Maldives President lauds India’s role in pushing political processSeptember 18th, 2012 - 12:51 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 17 (IANS) Maldives President Mohamed Waheed Monday lauded India’s support in pushing forward political process in his country when he met visiting Defence Minister A.K. Antony in the capital Male.
“President Waheed appreciated the visit of Antony to the island nation and said that it had ‘increased the confidence level in the relations of the two countries,’” the defence ministry said in a statement here.
He also appreciated India’s support in facilitating a way forward in the political process in Maldives, said the ministry.
Antony, who wrapped up his three-day visit to the island nation Monday, also briefed the Maldives president on the discussions he had with his Maldivian counterpart Mohamed Nazim Sunday on a slew of decisions taken to cement the defence relationship between the two countries.
Steeping up their defence ties, India and the Maldives Sunday had agreed on an array of steps to step up their cooperation in areas of counter-terrorism, anti-piracy operations and maritime security in the Indian Ocean.
Antony formally inaugurated a military hospital called “Senahiya” in Male, which has been built with the assistance of the Indian government and stressed on closer cooperation between the two countries in combating terrorism, drug-trafficking and piracy.
- As Chinese influence looms, Antony to visit Maldives - Sep 12, 2012
- Nasheed meets Manmohan to discuss Maldives future - Apr 23, 2012
- India urges Maldives to resolve issues democratically - Feb 11, 2012
- India pushes for early elections, Maldives parties agree - Feb 29, 2012
- India pushes for early elections in Maldives, parties agree (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Maldives' new government agrees to hold early elections - Feb 17, 2012
- India brokers deal, Maldives parties agree for early polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Waheed, Manmohan discuss Maldivian polls, economic ties - May 12, 2012
- India urges Maldives to resolve issues peacefully (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Opposition hails Indian intervention in Maldives - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: anti piracy, antony, combating terrorism, confidence level, counter terrorism, counterpart, defence minister, defence ministry, defence ties, drug trafficking, indian government, island nation, lauds, maritime security, military hospital, nazim, New Delhi, president mohamed, slew, waheed