Maldives beat India to lift SAFF CupJune 15th, 2008 - 12:12 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 14 (IANS) A last-gasp goal by Mukhtar Nasser helped Maldives shock defending champions India to lift their maiden South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Cup title at the packed Sugathadassa Stadium here Saturday. Four-time champion India paid heavily for the numerous chances they missed throughout the 90 minutes. And when the game looked like going into extra-time, the stunner came with a long ranger from Nasser in the 87th minute.
It was 159th ranked Maldives’ third appearance in the final and this time they emerged unscathed and also took a sweet revenge for their 0-1 loss to India at home in the group stage.
India throughout the tournament never played like defending champions and had to toil hard for all their victories.
Maldives never looked like a team ranked six spots below India and right from the start made efforts to rattle the opposition defence.
Nasser had the first clear chance of opening the scoring in the ninth minute but it was thwarted by Indian goalkeeper Subrata Paul. Maldives’ strikers Nasser and Ali Ashfaq showed good coordination to pounce on the loose ball repeatedly.
India had to pay through its nose for the profligacy of its players, who showed eagerness in attempting long rangers rather than playing short passes. Climax Lawrence and Sameer Naik attempted some ambitious long rangers but they had neither power nor direction.
Indian strikers Bhaichung Bhutia and Sunil Chettri were hardly given any chance as they were heavily policed by the Maldivian defenders. They still had a few opportunities but failed to convert them. One such opportunity came in the 18th minute, when Bhaichung set it up for Chettri with a deep pass but the chance went abegging.
- India unimpressive, lucky to get a point (Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India too good for Maldives; face Afghanistan in final - Dec 09, 2011
- SAFF final: Afghanistan will not be easy meat for India - Dec 10, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India beat Sri Lanka 3-0, face Maldives in semifinal - Dec 07, 2011
- Nehru Cup: India look to continue winning ways against Maldives - Aug 24, 2012
- SAFF Cup: India coach rejects favourites tag - Dec 01, 2011
- Tough for India to make Nehru Cup hat-trick - Aug 21, 2012
- Hapless India go down 0-5 to Zambia - Nov 29, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India sans Sameer Naik in must-win match against Bhutan - Dec 04, 2011
- SAFF Cup football: India slam five against hapless Bhutan - Dec 05, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India, Pakistan drawn in different groups - Nov 02, 2011
- SAFF Cup: Thapa's late strike sees Nepal beat Bangladesh - Dec 04, 2011
- SAFF Cup: Tough for India against Maldives in semifinal - Dec 08, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India need draw against Sri Lanka for semi-final berth - Dec 06, 2011
- SAFF Cup: Spirited Nepal held 1-1 by Maldives - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: ashfaq, asian football federation, bhutia, eagerness, gasp goal, goalkeeper, group stage, last gasp, long ranger, loose ball, mukhtar, naik, nasser, profligacy, sameer, strikers, stunner, subrata paul, sweet revenge, time champion