Malaysian storekeeper jailed over sexual groomingAugust 21st, 2010 - 6:18 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Aug 21 (ANI): A Malaysian storekeeper, who repeatedly propositioned two secondary school students for sex, has become the first person to be jailed for sexual grooming.
Loh Kuat Fung, 25, was jailed a year on each charge but the sentences were ordered to run concurrently.
But he was jailed an additional six months for allowing one of the girls, then aged 15, to consume alcohol in a hotel room he had rented after they got to know each other in 2008.
The other girl was only 13 when Loh tried to “hit” on her, reports the Star Online.
Calling the offences “very serious” as his victims were “very vulnerable”, district judge Sarjit Singh ordered the 18-month jail term to start immediately.
For sexual grooming, Loh could be jailed for up to three years and/or fined up to RM23,087.
The law, which took effect in February 2008, makes it an offence for a person above the age of 21 to “intentionally meet or travel to meet a minor with the intention of committing a sexual offence with the minor”.
A district court heard that the storekeeper first got to know the older girl through the Friendster social networking site in 2008.
Harassed by persistent requests for sex, the teenager introduced a 13-year-old friend to Loh so that he would leave her alone in September that year. (ANI)
- Russian faces jail for internet sex talk with minor - Aug 07, 2012
- Asian Muslim brothers groomed teenage girls for sex - Jul 05, 2012
- Pakistani gang jailed for raping 50 white British girls - May 09, 2012
- More Asian sex predators held in Britain - Jan 12, 2011
- Oz student jailed for seeking 'vampire sex' online from girls under 14 - Feb 10, 2011
- Brit-Pakistani rape convicts jailed, banned from being alone with under-age girls - Jan 17, 2011
- Pakistani men grooming British girls for sex - Jan 05, 2011
- Oz man who had baby with 11-yr-old stepdaughter 15-yrs ago escapes jail - Apr 19, 2011
- Gang in Britain jailed for rape as Eid celebrations - Apr 21, 2012
- Brit teacher who had affairs with 3 teen girls jailed for 6-and-a-half yrs - Aug 28, 2010
- US man jailed for child sex tourism in Cambodia - Dec 21, 2010
- Sexual grooming of white girls an Asian problem: Official - Jun 08, 2012
- Briton makes hit-list of 1,000 girls for sex - May 19, 2012
- British teacher jailed for sex with underage student - Jun 19, 2012
- Briton jailed 30 years after abusing kids - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: alcohol, district judge, first person, hotel room, intention, kuala lumpur, loh, old friend, one of the girls, persistent requests, secondary school students, sentences, sexual offence, six months, social networking site, storekeeper, teenager