Malaysian Sikh sets record for longest stint as TV news presenterJanuary 26th, 2011 - 3:12 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Jan 26 (ANI): A Malaysian Sikh has set a new record as the ‘longest serving television news presenter’ after working 38-years with RTM.
Harjit Singh Hullon, 57, who said that it has always been his dream to appear on television, was awarded the title by the Malaysia Book of Records on January 25.
“Ever since the first time I tuned in to the radio, I knew I wanted my voice to be heard too,” the Star Online quoted him as saying.
And what he liked most about the honour is that he did not break an existing record, but created a new one.
“It will not be an easy record to break,” Hullon who joined RTM as a radio deejay in 1972, said.
The bilingual newscaster, known for his flawless Bahasa Malaysia and English, won the inaugural Information Minister’s Special Award at the Angkasapuri Awards presentation ceremony in 2006.
Hullon will be retiring this year but the father of two has no plans of sitting back and relaxing, saying that he wants to give back to the company that made him who he is today.
As a regular and familiar face to viewers of RTM as well as being the only Sikh newscaster on the channel, Hullon said his friends have given another meaning to the acronym ‘RTM’.
“My friends say it stands for ‘Regular Turbanned Man’,” he joked.
On his loyalty to RTM, Harjit said he never thought of leaving the government broadcaster despite receiving offers from rival companies.
“Looking back, I know I made the right choice,” he added. (ANI)
- More airtime for Tamil programmes on Malaysian radio, TV - Sep 10, 2010
- Malay Indian body demands more focus on community issues. - Feb 14, 2011
- California law bars discrimination against Sikhs, Muslims (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Bars cannot discriminate against Sikhs, Muslims in California - Sep 10, 2012
- Surrey temple shooting: Indian radio presenter claims his boss fired in "self-defence" - Aug 30, 2010
- Another pat down of diplomat in US, India takes up issue (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Sikhs in Singapore: Turbanators with rich tradition of donning uniform - Mar 07, 2011
- Parents fume over turban curbs in Shimla school - Apr 26, 2012
- Super successful Sikh is Toronto's biggest Indian car man - Feb 01, 2011
- India presses France to resolve turban ban issue - Oct 20, 2011
- Milkha wants PM to take up turban issue strongly - Mar 16, 2011
- SGPC protests against turban frisking at international airports - Mar 25, 2011
- France violated Sikh's right to wearing turban: UN - Jan 13, 2012
- News Anchor Kimmo Wilska Fired for Beer Prank - Oct 16, 2010
- Seek stop to US turban checking, Badal urges PM - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: acronym, bahasa malaysia, familiar face, government broadcaster, harjit singh, honour, kuala lumpur, malaysia book of records, mation, news presenter, newscaster, presentation ceremony, radio deejay, right choice, rival companies, rtm, sikh, stint, television news, tv news